Welcome to the New Car Talk Community!

It sure would be nice to be able to edit my posts since I can’t see what I’m typing. Should have been:
“I don’t understand how someone builds a discussion board that doesn’t thread replies.”

All of the issues you mentioned should have been identified and addressed by the developers before going ive. Assuming, that is, that you decided not to go with an existing open-source solution.

"All of the issues you mentioned should have been identified and addressed by the developers before going live. "

You can edit your post, Piter (nice name, btw. Love that book). Look to the right of the timestamp, which is to the right of your name.

and if you’re having a hard time seeing what you type, when it pops to a line below the input box and you can’t see anymore, hit the down arrow key. Imperfect, but it works.

I agree, btw. I’d personally have thrown phpBB 3 on here and called it good. It’s free, robust, and works well right out of the box.

Apparently the non-scrolling edit box problem is not a problem in all web browsers. It is a problem in Firefox.

It’s also a problem in IE 8!

Its ok in Chrome.

mark forums read and view new posts buttons would be useful

If you go to that “Back to Discussions” link at the bottom of the editing box and use that it will mark it as read for you & send you back to the list. It will then show you only the # of new posts when any are made. I often just use the back arrow, but that leaves it as unread.

It also seems to mark it as read if you use one of the links at the top to go back to the list. I guess if you use a link from inside of a thread it marks it. If you use the back arrow, it doesn’t.

#cigroller 6:07PM
Apparently the non-scrolling edit box problem is not a problem in all web browsers. It is a problem in Firefox.”

Yet the people who make the product say it is cross-browser.

Is the business model that they supply free cripple-ware and the customer then pays for what should be normal functionality? No software should have 500 plugins.

FYI - the search function is now live. You’ll find it on the right-hand side of the screen, underneath the Bookmarked Discussions box, which itself is under the Car Talk Tool Box. Any problems? Let us know here.

I’m not crazy about this new format. Whatever happen to “when something works good you stick with it”

The old software apparently was no longer supported, and so they had to upgrade. I’m just confused as to why they didn’t use one of the gold standards of forum software - either phpBB, which is free, or vBulletin.

Hi, just a PSA for anybody who didn’t check the announcement thread in the Repair and Maintenance section…post-flagging is now available. You’ll see the “Report” link next to the name of the poster and time stamp of the post you’d like to flag. Clicking it brings up a window to confirm the flag, and, optionally, to add a reason why you feel the comment is objectionable. Let us know if you have any trouble with it.

I wish the original question was in a different font style, color or surrounded by a box maybe to make it stand out from the other comments.

HOw does one Post??

I mean an original/new question/thread?

To start a new discussion, look on the right-hand side of the screen underneath the cartoony-looking Car Talk Community logo, and click on the rectangular red button that says “Ask a Question.” It will bring you to a screen with a form for you to complete and submit.