Weird Sound

Gee, maybe it’s a sign that I should go ahead and order that '09 Yaris!!! : D

A metallic rattle (like metal vibrating) when I accelerate; sounds a bit like it’s coming from the front right; exhaust???

The only trouble this 2000 Suzuki Swift hatch has given me has been the muffler.

Could it be pinging (premature detination)? Does it sound like marbles in a can being shaken? Try some high octane (premium) gas to see if it goes away. If it does, it is premature detination. Premium fuel might treat the symptom, but you should still get it fixed.

It could also be a loose heat shield, which would be easy to repair. Sorry if I just killed the “new Yaris” idea.

Buy MORE EXPENSIVE gas??? hahahahahahahahahaha

It’s not “pinging,” I don’t think; more like a constant humming vibration…

But ONLY when I accelerate; is that consistent with loose heat shield???

Since the muffler has fallen off a couple of times before, I guess an exhaust issue.

Without hearing the sound it’s difficult to tell, however a loose heat shield on the catalytic converter is a common cause. And yes, it can be only under specific operating conditions. It’s a resonant frequency thing.

If that is th culprit, and that can be determined by manually shaking the heat shield (NOT when it’s hot!), the fix is to wrap a large hose clamp from the hardware store around the shield, clamping it to the converter body.

I suggested buying the expensive gas as a diagnostic procedure, not a solution. Pinging is usually most pronounced when you accelerate. I would not summarily dismiss it.

I guess if you think that suggestion is so funny, you probably have better ideas of your own.

But ONLY when I accelerate; is that consistent with loose heat shield???
Yes

[b] Since the muffler has fallen off a couple of times before, I guess an exhaust issue.

[/b] Yes

Buying a tank of high test would help eliminate the possibility of engine knocking. It is only a test.

“I guess if you think that suggestion is so funny, you probably have better ideas of your own.”

Geez; don’t be so sensitive, Whitey… It’s just that gas has recently been hovering around the four dollar mark and I’d selling my first-born child to pay for premium…

Thanks for the suggestion…

If that is the case, and you don’t find a loose heat shield, you could run the tank down near empty and only use 1/2 or 1/4 of a tank of high octane gas.

I reacted the way I did because I think laughing at someone who is trying to help is rude. However, I am glad you can find humor in your tight finances. I am not so sure I would be laughing if I was in that position.