Weird Paint Issue on 2017 Honda Accord

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any information you can provide! I noticed this strange spot in the paint on my 2017 Black Honda Accord. It is on the drivers side rear door, there isn’t anything else like it anywhere on the car. I have no idea what this is or how to fix it. Can anyone ID this issue? It looks like a very metallic spot, it’s very shiny and hard to see the black color underneath it, it is much more noticeable under light.

Looks like something got splashed on the door and dripped down.

Tester

3 Likes

Looks like it might be fingernail polish.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, that’s what I was thinking… but have no idea how it could have gotten there. I’m hesitant to use acetone to remove it… anything else you guys would recommend? Maybe goo gone?

I’d try this.

If it doesn’t remove it, at least it won’t damage the finish.

Tester

Try isopropol alcohol first. It won’t hurt the paint. If that doesn’t work, go to the acetone. Dampen a rag and work it over the spot. It shouldn’t hurt the paint but don’t splash it on the door. Go slowly. Scratch Doctor is a good next step to finish it off.

I highly doubt that acetone will damage the paint, including clear coat. It will remove nail polish quite well, though. If you happen to have acetone around (active ingredient in nail polish remover), try it on a hidden spot, like under the hood or trunk. Put some on a paper towel and wipe the surface several times. If the towel turns black, then it’s removing paint. Also, make sure you clean the area you test well so that you don’t mistake dirt for paint. Acetone will take your wax off. After you clean the junk off, wash the area and wax it.

Hmmm. I use acetone to take the lacquer off of brass hardware. It’s the only thing that works but I would be very careful using it on the car’s finish. It’s just very strong stuff. I’d prefer something less strong like paint thinner. I don’t know what that stuff is but I would be using a plastic scrapper to try and get some of it off, then hit it with chemicals and polish.

I had a new car at a motel in Fishkill, NY one night. In the morning I had this crap all over the back of the car. Some had dried already and some was still moist. I have no idea what it was or how it got there but it was almost like stucco sprayed on in chunks similar to what you have. It was a heck of a job getting it all off when I got home. Scrape, chemicals, polish, repeat. Watch a youtube on clay bar to get the idea. So you may never know what happened.

mineral spirits work the safest.
also, it is possible to get no-acetone nail polish remover, it’s quite mild too.
acetone? probably only as a last resort!

1 Like

I’ve used acetone on my cars before, and it never damaged the paint. The rubber baskets? They dissolve pretty quickly. Stay away from them. Always put the solvent on the rag, not on the part you want to clean.

I had the pleasure (misfortune, actually) of managing a body shop attached to a new car dealer many years ago.

Yes, a professional auto body “coatings” expert, also known as an auto body painter, can help identify the damage and offer the best solution. Had you stopped by the shop I managed I would have had our painter go outside and have a quick look. We did this gratis, as it was good for customer relations, and to win new customers or keep existing ones.

Sometimes, if it was a quick, easy fix (like using the proper chemical to remove it, for instance), we’d take care of it on the spot, often free of charge.

Anyhow, try calling a couple of highly reputed shops that have experienced professionals there, and ask if they’d have a pro take a peak at it when you stopped by. I know “customer service” is difficult to find in today’s world, but give it a try and you might be surprised.

I’d do that prior to screwing with it myself or following advice from others who may or may not know what they’re talking about. You don’t want to make a major repair out of something that could be a very minor issue.

CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree: