Weird oil usage

I have no explanation but hope the problem is solved.

Stay vigilant about oil level! The oil problem may still be lurking. If so, its consequences are much worse than those of a loose bolt on the alternator. Best of luck and please let us know how it’s going.

I could see the loose bolt leading to low voltage, which can cause all sorts of computerized fun as well as maybe overheating, but major oil leakage??

1 Like

Update on “Weird Oil Usage” topic.

Drove the Kia around for a few months. The check engine light would stay on and sometimes go off, but mostly It stayed on. Eventually the oil light would come on, but only when decelerating or coming to a full stop. No difference in the oil usage.

We drove it to a mechanic who, after he looked at it and said it’s probably the coils. he gave us an estimate of about $800.00. We drove it home.

Then last week when we moved the Kia, we noticed a lot of oil on the ground. We went to another mechanic recommended to us by someone who lives down the road. Earlier this week we took it there and left it. We thought they’d keep it for a couple of days. couple of hours later they call. It’s ready.
The bill was 34.00.

When we went to pick it up, the mechanic explained to my BF that the gasket on the oil filter was dry and a piece of this gasket was curled. So, all he did was replace the oil filter. Since then - Monday this week, we the car continues to run well, and the check engine light HAS NOT come on once. Either has the oil light. Oil levels remain consistent.

Thanks to all of you for your input and sharing your knowledge with us.

3 Likes

You should let that mechanic change your oil. Whoever did your las oil change did not put some fresh oil on the gasket which is standard procedure.

1 Like

The loose bolt created a condition in which the CEL was eager to illuminate. Remember, gauges and indicators can be faulty too.

I hope you are changing your oil on a regular schedule. You have had this oil problem for some time and NOW a mechanic notices a torn oil filter gasket? If you are putting 150 miles a day on this vehicle, you should be doing an oil change about every two to two and a half months (6000-7500 miles).

But your problem is not unheard of. Unusual yes but it can happen and expect that it is either a front seal or an oil pump seal. The old seal can look as good as the new one but for some reason, it leaks and there are cases where they leak sporadically. Maybe affected by weather conditions or something. I was watching a transmission seal one time, trying to find the leak. Nothing and then all of a sudden, one seal pumped out about a quart of ATF in just a few seconds and stopped. I replaced that seal and no more problems.