Weird noise when driving and broken plastic in the oil pan

There is this weird noise when I brake hard/medium and it sounds like something getting constantly crunched. It has nothing to do with any of the axles. When we opened the oil pan we found small black broken plastic pieces. I’m thinking it has something to do with the timing chain and the tensioner or the guides. Any ideas?

I am thinking that you are correct. That car likely has hydraulic timing chain tensioner and if that fails, the chain will chew up the plastic guides and you will get noise and broken plastic. Go ahead and replace the chain while you are in there doing the tensioner and guides. Be careful when removing the vibration dampener pulley from the front of the crankshaft. It is easily damaged.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice, going to get the kit and hopefully the issue with be fixed

The procedure to remove the timing chain cover involves lowering the engine/sub frame from the vehicle, about 20 hours of labor.

It is unusual to find broken timing chain guides on this engine. Do you believe that the noise while braking is coming from the engine?