Waterless coolant

I have a '95 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo that wants to overheat when running the a/c…have repaired electrical fans, replaced water pump, flushed the cooling system to no avail. Does anyone know anything about waterless coolants? Evans makes several products in this area .

I don’t think any of them are waterless. Some of them come premixed, and some you have to add 1 part water for 1 part coolant.

In any case, are you asking about this product because you think it will solve your problem, or because you think it caused your problem?

You need to stop throwing parts at this and find a competent mechanic to diagnose and fix your problem. It probably isn’t the coolant.

Okay, I just looked at this product, and I don’t recommend it. It claims it will save you fuel by increasing the operating temperature of your engine. The operating temperature of your engine should be what Dodge designed it to be, and not a degree more.

Get your cooling system pressure tested, and get your radiator flow tested.

Many years ago, there was talk about increasing the operating temperature of IC engines in order to increase their efficiency…It was thought 350 degrees was attainable with various engine modifications but it never happened. Getting seals and gaskets to perform at that temperature along with the lubricant must have been more difficult than they thought.

If everything else checks out with your Dodge turbo, replace the radiator.

Actually I called Evans a few minutes ago. I appreciate the comment about raising the engine temperature and that this is not advisable, however after talking to one of the engineers at Evans, I don’t think that this is a complete explanation of the effect of creating a coolant that raises the boiling point of the liquid. The advice from Evans was to first have the radiator checked out (as Whitey recommended) to make sure their are no flow problem…so that is my next step…although the very first thing I did was to have the system power flushed…but this needs to be re evaluated since it has been long enough ago that this would be advisable…thank you Whitey and Caddyman for your contributions.

Was the thermostat replaced?

Was the radiator cap pressure tested? A radiator cap not holding pressure will lower the boiling point of the coolant and lead to overheating.

Ed B.

I bet your car didn’t overheat like this when new. There’s a problem somewhere, and the system isn’t that complicated. You’ve been given the right things to check. If the pump and thermostat are good, I bet it’s the radiator. Flushing often will do nothing to a plugged radiator, it probably needs to be replaced (assuming it’s a plastic/aluminum one).

Why don’t you just do the simple thing and fix the car? These are symptoms of a 16 year old car with a tired cooling system. The radiator may be filled with bugs in the front or the insides coated so there is not enough cooling capacity. Just replace the radiator and flush the system and it’ll do wonders.

In addition to agreeing with those who advise that the first and most important step is to actually fix the car’s cooling system, I want to pose a question:

Don’t you think that this “waterless” solution may actually involve the inclusion of water during the manufacturing process? I can virtually guarantee you that there is some water involved somewhere in the process, otherwise it would be rather difficult to create this liquid coolant.

On a side note, this reminds me of a current events discussion that I conducted with one of my 11th grade classes, circa 1970. We were talking about the then-current terrible drought that was impacting our state, and the possible result of major water shortages.

I asked for suggestions that we could list on the chalkboard, regarding what steps the average person could take in order to help conserve water. One girl volunteered that “we should all drink soda”!

I asked her what she thought the major component of her favorite soda might be, and she stared blankly at me. I offered the likelihood that her favorite soda was most likely composed of about 97% water. She adamantly informed me that, “no–there’s no water in it–it’s soda!” I tried for several minutes to explain the concept to her, and after those several minutes, I was no closer to getting her to understand the concept than when I began the explanation.

It’s soda!

VDC, I guess she missed that day in chemistry class when they talked about the universal solvent. Scary thing is she’s voting now and may even be running for president.

Bing

And now, the secret is out.
Yes, Michele Bachmann was my student.

;-))

'VDC, I guess she missed that day in chemistry class when they talked about the universal solvent. Scarry thing is she’s voting now and may even be running for president."

Too late. Somebody that clueless is already in office.

People with scars shouldn’t be allowed to vote?

Newsflash: except for Anthropogenic Electrolysis, and the additional water produced by combustion of abiotic petroleum (really, how did the dinosaurs find their way down there?) and the occasional comet, the amount of water on the planet is pretty much constant. No need to conserve it. Drink up!

, the amount of water on the planet is pretty much constant. No need to conserve it. Drink up!

Yes…but DRINKABLE water is declining…

Not my yob, mang! And of course feel free to prove it. Not that we could use more drinkable water, but that it is in your word, declining. Rain and snow, drinkable. Solar still technology, proven. Granted, the drinkable water may not be where Person A or Person B wants it to be, but that’s why populations migrate.

but that’s why populations migrate

Not if we keep bringing them food and water. I like Sam Kinison’s idea, instead of bringing them food and water year after year, let’s bring in some UHauls and move them to where the food is…

Back to the subject- why get rid of the water? Use a surfactant like Water Wetter to improve the heat transfer of the existing coolant. :wink: I agree with the prior answers, just fix your existing system. You don’t need these exotic solutions.

TT, I think the product the OP mentioned is marketed to people who neglect their cars and don’t want to do the required maintenance. They blame water for rusting and eroding internal components, but those in the know realize that these problems don’t happen when you change your coolant on schedule, and don’t give the corrosion inhibitors a chance to wear out.

Radiators can fail in several ways…The internal tubes the coolant flows through can plug up…(Flushing does nothing)…Or the thin foil material that’s placed between the tubes on the outside of the radiator can come loose due to vibration or road-salt corrosion. This condition greatly diminishes the radiators ability to transfer heat…

Whitey, that’s one possible explanation. However, if you read the site, you will see some claims made right up front that might entice someone to ELIMINATE the regular maintenance you speak about:

Because Evans Waterless Coolants do not contain water, electrolysis and corrosion are also eliminated. Not only do Evans Waterless Coolants not boil over, they do not freeze. All Evans Waterless Coolants will last the life of your engine and do not require supplemental coolant additives

I don’t necessarily subscribe to the premise and the proposed cost savings but I’m sure many people do or they wouldn’t be in business long.

That’s kind of my point. I made the point that the product appears to marketed to address problems that generally don’t exist on properly maintained cars, but that is only half the equation. By claiming to eliminate the maintenance itself, the makers of this product appear to be appealing to the same type of negligent owners who don’t change their coolant on schedule. In both cases, the marketing seems to be designed for people who don’t do the proper maintenance (present company excluded, danstew).

Many of us are skeptical about lifelong and long life fluids (like ATF and coolant/antifreeze), and many of us would never buy a car that didn’t have a way to change the ATF or coolant.