Water in turbocharger system - 2002 Dodge Ram

I have been seeing water under the front of my truck for the last couple of weeks and monitored it very carefully. It appears to be coming from a rubber transition sleeve that is located just before the air enters the cooling system for the heated turbocharged air which then goes to the injection system. Is this common to have some water in this system? How would it get in there?

Sounds like condensation. Any time you take hot moisture-laden air and chill it the moisture will condense on the cooler surfaces.

Is the sleeve split? The fix might be just a matter of replacing the sleeve.

Thanx. I suspect that to be the case but I am trying to figure out if there is anywhere else the water might be coming from.

Also the water appears to be green.

antifreeze green?

put a drop of this green water on the tip of your tongue, if it has a sweet taste you’ve got antifreeze coolant - not water. If it isn’t water, it isn’t condensation - now you have a problem.

Some turbo’s do have coolant passages in them. It helps them stay cooler so they don’t overheat. You should be able to find the coolant lines attaching to the turbo unit. If they the lines themselves are not leaking, there may be an internal fault in the turbo unit - which would require replacement.

Have a read:
http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/oil_water_plumbing

It appears to be coming from a rubber transition sleeve that is located just before the air enters the cooling system for the heated turbocharged air which then goes to the injection system. Also the water appears to be green.

Sounds like a leak in the intercooler to me.

The radiator is leaking and dripping onto the intercooler connector. The intercooler is an air to air cooler, there should be no liquid inside.

“There should not be liquid inside”. If there is than it must have someplace where the liquid could make that intrusion. That is what I would like to find.

If you find oil or coolant inside the intercooler it would be from the turbo charger. The fluid will make its way into the engines intake manifold when accelerating and be burned in the engine, does the engine smoke?

If your truck has a Water to Air intercooler…you may have found your issue. The other type of intercooler is Air to Air… If you see antifreeze in there…your intercooler could be Water to Air and may have a breach of the water jacket and is now leaking into the intercooler.

The Turbo should also be water cooled as well…so that is the second place it can come from…so you have two locations to suss out…and only two…

Nothing you can do at that point other than replace whichever is leaking. As a stop gap measure you could run it with the rad cap loose so as not to bring the cooling system up to full pressure or any pressure for that matter… No pressure will aid in stopping the coolant from passing through whichever item failed…

This of course lowers the boil point of that fluid…but unless you are pulling a super heavy trailer up Mt Everest in Death Valley Temps…you will never overheat it or boil over. Just as a temporary measure.

If somehow the crack turns into a flood suddenly…you could inhale enough coolant to Hydro Lock a cylinder…and you do NOT want to do that…I promise.

Blackbird