Water-cooled VW Beetle perplexing problem

I found this perplexing problem described in a classic-car magazine (Classics World, May, 2024). VW Beetle (new type , water-cooled), don’t know model year, but OBD II era . OBD II codes say “too lean”. But no other obvious symptoms. Starts and runs well. Owner thinks there may be a vacuum leak in the valve cover area , so replaces the oil filler cap, thinking the cap’s seal may be leaking, allowing air into the engine. After replacing the cap, the engine won’t run.

I can’t think of a reason why replacing the oil filler cap would cause an otherwise working engine to not run at all. But it seems like an important clue. Ideas?

Probably forgot to wind it up!

Tester

Cheap Chinese crappy part, wrong cap or defective oil filler cap… Dealer cap would be the way to go, or put the old one back on and take it to a mechanic that knows what they are doing… lol

But Testers answer is much funnier… :rofl:

Or?

Replacing the cap has absolutely nothing to do as to why the engine doesn’t run?

Crank sensor decided to quit? Fuel pump decided to die? Blew a Fuse?

Who wants to guess something else?

Tester

3 Likes

Very true, I have driven multiple vehicles in for one service and then the engine wouldn’t start… Oil change, crank sensor died, car would not start back up, and different vehicle replaced power steering lines, car failed to start back up, fuel pump went out…

Crap happens…

1 Like

It is nonsence articles like that is why I no longer subscribe to any magazines .

Owner re-routed a wire or hose for clearance while installing the new cap, put it back on in the wrong place or not at all.

Nah, that never happens …

I was thinking maybe this is one of VW’s turbo-diesel engines. Would that configuration be more susceptible to an oil-fil cap problem? I’m presuming the first thing the article’s author did was re-install the old cap to verify it returned to running ok. Assuming that’s the case, any ideas how a new oil filler cap could cause the engine to stop running? Like maybe the old cap did indeed allow extra air into the engine, and the computer compensated by adjusting the idle parameters. Then the new cap blocked the extra air, and it would no longer idle b/c it was air-starved using the prior idle parameters?

Engineers like puzzlers, but I like answers so let me know the answer. Maybe that’s my confirmation bias coming out again but after the discussion on nitro, there is some basis. :grin:

No answers, but I did discover the UK VW New Beetle in question is a 2000 model year. VW offered 3 engines in that year for New Beetles sold the USA. No clue which one this one has. The author & owner’s name is Simon Goldsworthy, if that’s of any help.

• L4 1.8L Turbo (presumably gasoline)
  • L4 1.9L DSL Turbo (presumably diesel)
  • L4 2.0L (presumably gasoline, non-turbo)

I’m liking the idle-parameters theory the more I think about it (post 7 above)

1 Like

Update: As of 5.10.24, still not resolved. Owner/author implies the New Beetle may be “binned” if the cause of the check engine light is not resolved soon. Not sure if that means it will be sold, or sent to the crusher. I’m still hoping a fix will turn up.

I believe the engine in that one is in the front not the back so maybe they just got confused.

Is anyone else besides me interested in the outcome? If not I’ll post no more updates. Here’s a quick summary:

2000 New Beetle, unknown engine configuration
Runs fine, no symptoms, the only problem is the check engine light refuses to go away, error code indicating a too-lean mixture. Shop smoke test showed oil-fill cap seal had air leak, so cap replaced. After that engine wouldn’t run at all. PCV valve assembly replaced, no difference.

Me thinks the answer is No interest at all . Besides what is a New Beetle doing in a Classic magazine anyway ?

Correcting a PCV system air leak will affect the idle, perhaps the engine won’t idle without assistance but won’t run? Seems unlikely, how can we be sure this information is accurate?

Good point. Without the owner posting here , about all I can do track the progress. It’s an interesting problem though. Like you, I’d like to know more about the “won’t run” symptom; does it mean the engine stalls when idling? or does it mean the engine won’t start and run at all? I think it’s quite possible the original problem is now fixed, and all that remains is to somehow teach the car’s computer how to idle properly with the air leak corrected. It may be the owner doesn’t have access to the proper VW scan tool, so isn’t able to correct the idle parameters problem.