Was told need transmission in virginia

i was driving my car 1999 olds intrigue 115,ooo miles out to work making a k turn car would,nt shift back into gear. was told i need transmission from amoco. They said no one replace trans just rebuid they ,of course they wanted both legs and arms $2100 for the work.i still owe for my car. My questions are should i look into a used transmission from a junk yard or do i really need a new trans or just service. is it worth getting a new trans when i owe 2 grand on my car

You had Aamco look at the car??? That’s your first mistake.

You need to get the car to a good independent transmission shop (NOT a chain) and let them diagnose. I wouldn’t let a place like Aamco even know my car had a transmission…“Yeah, I just pedal it around like Fred Flintstone. Really! No transmission here!”

I’m assuming that you meant AAMCO, rather than an Amoco gas station, when you referred to being told that you need a rebuilt transmission. Since AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman and any other transmission chain that I have ever heard of are notorious for doing unnecessary work, for poor quality workmanship, and for high prices, I strongly urge you to seek out an independent transmission shop.

Ask your friends, co-workers, neighbors, and relatives for recommendations on an independent trans shop that has been in business for more than 3 years. With an independent shop, you are much more likely to get an honest diagnosis and you are more likely to get a fairer price as well as better quality workmanship.

I agree with the above advice and it applies to all other states and DC in addition to Virginia.


You only need to post a question one time. Check your other post…


What is a “K” turn?

It’s what you are forced to do if there isn’t room for a U turn. You go to the curb and then back up until you can have room to complete the turn.

It is what we used to call a “three-point turn”, back in the '60s and '70s. Why the terminology changed is a mystery to me.

Shouldn’t that be a ‘Y’ turn then ??? Looks more like a Y than a K to me…

When I took driver’s ed in 2001, we were taught three-point turns. I had to visualize a k-turn in my head to figure it out. :slight_smile: I’ve never heard the term before.

Other post is here: http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/1123809.page

Maybe they’re just cycling the alphabet…I don’t think they teach ‘J’ turns in drivers ed :slight_smile:

Can’t wait till they get to ‘S’

To me, they are still “three-point” turns.

In the late '70s or early '80s, I heard my students referring to “K-turns”, and I had to ask them to explain this terminology to me. After the explanation, I still found it difficult to connect the letter “K” with that type of turn, but apparently this is now the standard term for a three-point turn–at least in my neck of the woods.

Was the phrase coined by K-Car owners…who’s car had a problem making a real U turn.

I’m pretty sure it was called a “K” turn when I was taking driver’s ed in New Jersey around 1970. It was the new “official” term at that time as I recall. I think they wanted to make it a letter so it was similar to a “U” turn in terminology. In fact, as I also recall New Jersey forbid “U” turns and only permitted “K” turns on roads. Pull over to the right curb, signal, turn left across road, stop, turn right backing up, procede. If your car had a small enough turning radius to make it without backing up, you still weren’t supposed to do it that way.

Yeah. If they cranked the wheel to full-lock, the CV joints fell out.

bwahahhaaaa…good one.