Paying 4 a car that dont work

I HAVE AND 1999 OLDSMOBILE INTRIGUE WITH 113,000 MILES ON IT THAT IM STILL PAYING OWING $3,000. MY CAR WAS STALLING CUTTING OFF AND NOT GOING INTO GEAR. TOOK TO AMOCO HAD HEART FAILURE WHEN THEY TOLD ME THE COST TO REBUILD TRANSMISSION(1800) IN WHICH I DONT HAVE. I WAS TOLD GO TO THE JUNK YARD PURCHASE ONE AND HAVE SOMEONE ELSE PUT IN ON FOR ME WHICH MAY BECOME CHEAPER FOR ME, BUT NO WARRANTY ON THE CHEAPER OPTION… WHAT SHOULD I DO.MY CAR IS MY INCOME SO OF COURSE IM LOSING INCOME BY HAVING MY CAR SIT IN MY DRIVEWAY.

Get the used tranny & cross your finger it will last till payments end(likely will be fine). If you can help it never finance a car over 36 months.

Your wallet is going to take a hit no matter what you do – or don’t do. That can’t be helped so just brace yourself and go through with repairs. A used transmission is probably your best bet. Come Monday morning, get on the phone and call around for mechanic’s estimates, either rebuild or replace. Don’t waste time, it may take more than a week before your car is on the road again.

Go to a REAL/independant tranny shop, Most if not all chains will always opt for rebuild and replace vs. a fix. It could only need a 200.00 part…maybe. Or you can change title or repost with tranny in the title to catch the eye of transman who is THE tranny expert on this board. If you are extremely lucky I believe he lives in the south east, could be your neighbor??

A good start would be to fix your CapsLock key

whats that and how should it cost

Lenjack is referring to typing in all capital letters. It is considered to be equivalent to SHOUTING, and is frowned upon in internet forums.

How did you get into a position where you owe more on the car than nearly double it’s actual value? I vote for the junkyard transmission although it is a crap shoot whether or not you get a transmission that’s any better than what you have?

The transmission typically has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CAR STALLING!! I ask that, because you only had one place give an opinion, and they are notorious for giving the basic answer of ‘transmission rebuild required’. That is how they make money. Even if the problem is a simple vacuum leak or tune-up. Now, with that being said, what are the symptoms? I read car is stalling, cutting off, and not going into gear. Does putting it in gear cause it to stall? Or, when running, put it in gear, and engine just revs? This is an important distinction for a proper diagnosis. I’m also leaning towards the possiblilty of a sticking lock-up torque converter, but yoppur answer to the question will help nail it down.

I know I am a pest about it, but ALL CAPS are difficult to read. Using standard case and paragraph spacing makes messages much easier to read. Making them easier to read means more people will read it and you are more likely to get a good answer.

Before you spend any money on this, make sure you are spending it on the right thing. AMOCO is not known for their integrity. They are not known as “All transmission Must Come Out” for nothing. Find a local mechanic (as friends and neighbors for suggestions, and have it taken a look at. If it needs a new transmission, they should talk over the options with you.

“AMOCO is not known for their integrity”

If you think that Amoco is bad, wait until you deal with AAMCO!

;-))