Want to know why my Engine stops running when it’s real hot 100° and the air is on I pull over shut the car off wait two minutes and it starts right up and everything

[/details i’ve had two Miatas and I had the same problem with the both

what’s the temperature gauge doing during all of this?

I expect shadowfax’s post above is on the money. The engine coolant is probably getting too hot, and the car’s computer decides to turn the engine off to prevent engine damage. Things you might try to prevent it from happening (1) turn off the AC, or (2) turn up the AC’s control temperature so it doesn’t have to work as hard; (3) turn on the heater & heater fan full blast, it will act like a second radiator and reduce the temperature of the engine coolant. Obvious downsides to driver comfort however. But you might only need to do this for a few minutes.

A general maintenance service for the cooling system makes sense too, drain and refill w/new coolant, new radiator cap, make sure the radiator fans are working correctly, make sure the cooling system is holding pressure correctly.

The engine computer probably is holding information on this event too, but you may need a Mazda specific scan tool to get access to it.

Sooo… NA, NB, NC or ND MX5? What year? What was your earlier MX5? What did you do about this problem to diagnose the cause? Or did you just wait until it starts up again and complain?

Is the check engine light on?

Sorry I’ve been away and haven’t checked emails
The car is not overheating… the coolant was changed two years ago no problems …… but I do get a codes POO12 & P1345 which I think has to do with the camshaft timing …. Check engine light comes on and goes off and comes on …. I had to wait for it to be off before I can pass smog ….
When the car stops running the check engine light does come on but it’s not on now so I can’t tell you unless it’s stored and I can hook it up to the code reader, I’ll see … but I don’t know … thank you for responding

Sorry I’ve been away and haven’t checked emails
The first meal I was in 1994 this one to 2001
The car is not overheating… the coolant was changed two years ago no problems …… but I do get a codes POO12 & P1345 which I think has to do with the camshaft timing …. Check engine light comes on and goes off and comes on …. I had to wait for it to be off before I can pass smog ….
When the car stops running the check engine light does come on but it’s not on now so I can’t tell you unless it’s stored and I can hook it up to the code reader, I’ll see … but I don’t know … thank you for responding

P1345 MAZDA: Code Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Tech Notes (engine-codes.com)

Mazda P0012 A Camshaft Position Timing Over Retarded Bank 1 – Car OBD Codes

The P0012 is causing your stalling. That can be caused by a bad Vvt solenoid or clogged oil passages. Both codes can be caused by damaged wiring. That is a real liklihood on a 20 year old car.

Damaged wiring could easily cause an intermittant condition so that is where I would focus attention. Find a mechanic that likes electrical repairs, is good at diagnostics and likes a challange.

You might get more specific info from one of the millions of MX5 forums.

Must for your info, everyone on this forum sees all of your replies… no need to answer individually.