Vw gti electrical problem

I have a 2003 vw gti that has a random electrical problem. This typically manifest by a monetary power interruption that resets the clock and the trip odometer. Usually after several of these events typically over several days the car will stop completely with no sign of electrical power at all. After it sits awhile it may then start. This problem has been going on for 3 years and it may run fine for 6 months or so. It has been to the dealer many times for this problem which never shows up on the computer. They have replaced the battery, the alternator and the iginition switch. What can I do other than trade it in?

Has the dealer replace the main relay (#109 as I recall)? 

Why are you going to the dealer for this? Certainly the dealer was the place when it was under warranty, but it should no longer be under warranty.  

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

I there any chance this could be covered under the lemon law? Do you have paperwork on all the work?

Thanks for the reply. I’m still going to the dealer because this problem is still under warranty but I plan to take it to an independent anyway. Thanks for the tip on the main relay. Yes, I do have all the paper work and plan to consult an attorney.

I realize that this may be a little contrary to CarTalk but is the best advice I can provide. Post your problem on www.vwvortex.com. There is plenty of help for VWs there. Anyone know of a similar site for Toyotas or Hondas?