VW Golf Diesel vs. Gas

I’m looking to buy a used VW Golf (2000-2005). Within my price range (~$6,000) I can find gas cars with 80,000 to 120,000 miles and diesel cars with 150,000+ miles, with the diesel being usually more expensive.

How will these cars hold up, gas vs. diesel? Is 160,000 a lot of miles for these cars, gas vs. diesel? Any other comments on the VW Golf?

Thanks!

Arion

With those miles, it’s more important in how they were treated and if they have maintenance records.

I have to agree with bscar. Over 100,000 miles the maintenance and the way the car was drive is far more important.

I own a diesel myself, but I would not suggest that modern automotive diesels share the longevity of over the road trucks. I don’t have the numbers, but I would guess they will last a little longer, but not enough to make a real difference.

With today’s modern engines and oils both diesels and gasoline cars can make 300,000 miles, if properly cared for. Most cars end up in the bone yard due to accidents, neglect or just because they are old and no one wants to be seen driving it.