VW Diesel Owners Unite!

" I seem to remember the remote trunk release gadget was only accessible, if you first opened the glove box ."

IIRC, you are right!

I agree with americar. Everyone is lining up to take a whack at VW and a slice of the pie. The people that bought the TDI where high milers that were greedy for the fuel economy. They got that economy so its just the future reduced mileage we’re talking about. Then of course its the increased emissions but how does that relate to a class action?

I do think there needs to be a reasonable resolution and balance. There is no need to push VW out of business, especially since I think others are “there but for the grace of God” due to our high EPA requirements. So what exactly is the “real” loss to owners? Or should they have to pay back for the higher mileage they have gotten?

I just find it interesting how fast everyone piles on with the group think denouncing VW when maybe our regulatory requirements and our greed for high economy might have helped pave the road to H.

I haven’t owned a VW since my 59 but my Olds diesel was part of the class action. Of course by that time it was well over the 100,000 mile limit so I wouldn’t get too excited over a potential class action.

A number of cars had that release in the glove box, I remember several GM cars.

" I seem to remember the remote trunk release gadget was only accessible, if you first opened the glove box ."

Well, that is really “remote” :smiley:

Yes, I had an Olds 88 and a Chevy Caprice with those little yellow buttons in the glove box to open the trunk. It always baffled me why that location since a short person had to undo the seatbelt to reach it.

I think the original idea was to open the trunk from the inside so hotel personnel or grocery carriers could put the stuff in the trunk without you having to open it from the outside.

“A number of cars had that release in the glove box, I remember several GM cars.”

I can top that, actually.
The '66 Fords had the switch for their 4-way flashers inside the glove box.
Isn’t that exactly where you would want it when an emergency arises?

In their (partial) defense, I believe that 1966 was the first year for mandatory 4-way flashers, and I suppose that Ford didn’t want to have to adapt their dashboards at that point.

My room mate at school bought a new 69 GTO and it had the trunk button in the glove box. It eliminated pushing the button by mistake I guess. After checking, my 89 Riviera had both the fuel door and the trunk buttons in the glove box but my 86 Riv. had them on the console. In my 95 Olds it was back on the dash and in my 09 Pontiac its on the door panel.

A class action suit might result from the loss of fuel economy in the future if the eventual solution is to use the smog test engine tune that meets emission requirements but reduces fuel economy. The lawyers for both sides would determine a formula for compensation for reduced mileage and reduced value if the cars were sold. This might not be the eventual solution, of course. I would be surprised if a class action suit did not come about give the number of vehicles involved.

@Docnick
"Yes, I had an Olds 88 and a Chevy Caprice with those little yellow buttons in the glove box to open the trunk. It always baffled me why that location since a short person had to undo the seatbelt to reach it."

There’s some logic to the design and it’s never been problematic for me, but has come in handy!

My Bonneville has a trunk release inside the glove compartment. This design makes sense, as pointed out in the Car’s Owner’s Manual. These cars come with regular keys and remote fobs as well as “Valet” keys.

The valet keys only operate the driver’s door and the ignition. They intentionally won’t allow access to the trunk, nor will they allow access to the trunk release because they won’t open the lock on the glove compartment.

Locks keep honest people honest. An owner/operator can stow articles in the trunk or glove compartment, hand a valet key to a valet, and trust that the articles will be protected from scrutiny.

I love my Bonneville and my Grand Prix. I love those 3.8L’s!

CSA

Yeah the valet is a good point. Forgot about that. Its a very rare occasion when I would let anyone drive my car or park it.

“Its a very rare occasion when I would let anyone drive my car or park it.”

Yup!
I have been known to walk 5 or 6 blocks from abundant free parking to my destination, rather than pay a “valet” to park my car and possibly abuse it or steal from it. In addition to saving money and potentially avoiding damage or theft from my car, I get some needed exercise.

@Bing
"Its a very rare occasion when I would let anyone drive my car or park it."

Me too. I’m not the valet parking type guy. However, there are those times when getting new tires, wheel alignments, recalls, service, etcetera, when it becomes difficult to hold tight on the keys…

Besides, I always keep desirable, expensive jumper cables in the trunk and a nearly $1,000 aluminum folding bicycle!
CSA

Being able to lock the trunk release switch isn’t an unusual feature but few consider using it. I sometimes find hand guns in the glove box and items in the trunk that most people would want to keep private. A lockable trunk switch is also useful to keep children from playing in the trunk.

I like to see that I am not the only one with aversion to valets. My friends mostly think it is because I am cheap, then to find out that at times I pay more to self park at some place a few blocks away and walk back.

You can bet the class action lawsuits are already in the works.

All you are likely to get is a software update and an apology for the cars reduced performance…Nobody is going to get early retirement off this…

It looks like Bosch was responsible for the cheat (deceit) software but warned VW that it was illegal to use in production cars and should only be used for testing. http://europe.autonews.com/article/20150927/ANE/150929837/bosch-warned-vw-about-illegal-software-use-in-diesel-cars-report-says

Nobody getting rich, but it’ll be more than an apology, since they already admitted fault. Courts look poorly on that…

Another reason to avoid valet parking, if possible . . .

Those guys are usually very young and quite often immature. I’m saying immature, because most guys are immature when they’re in their teens and early 20s

I would not expect them to treat your car gently

I don’t mean they’re going to bash it up, but they might have a lead foot, and might not really know how to drive stick, if that’s what your car has

“You can bet the class action lawsuits are already in the works.”

According to CNN there have already been 89 cases filed. One pending is US dealers.