Volvo xc 60 plug in repair record?

Hi. If you were looking for a small plug-in suv (phev), would you buy a volvo xc-60 plug-in hybrid? Used models seem to be the only affordable ones for me.
-here in calif.
-plug-in ONLY!
-est range $30-35K
-must be small SUV type, cause it will pretend to be a pickup sometimes, for lumber, ladders, dogs & more.
I want something that will last – 10+ yr.

Irrelevant stuff follows:
My 2001 CR-V is literally falling apart. Great engine (still 23+ mpg) but $3000 on minor repairs this last month, non drivetrain nor any other functional work needed. But I’m being nickel & dimed to death on it.

• I can wait. I see that Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester & Mazda are finally coming out with NEW plug-in small suvs. I can’t afford $40+K for car that will outlive me. Meanwhile, my CR-V works (for now).
    -I’m stickin’ to Japanese models (or maybe the xc-60?). I don’t think the Korean ones are up to the quality of their Japanese rivals yet, & I want that quality. See: 23 y.o. CR-V that won’t die, just collapse bit by bit.
    -If youse can find one, a used Rav4 prime looks like $40K to start.
    It seems if I keep looking, an xc60 phev may be the way to go, but
    -I don’t want to spend an arm & a leg on repairs down the line. No stinkaronies please. I will be calling our repair guy, but I’d like your 2 bits on xc 60 phev used, please.

Thank you(se), stay safe.

The Volvo is mostly owned by a China company . You don’t like repair bills and you are looking at used hybrids . Spock say that is not logical.

2 Likes

I will suggest a tool for you to use to determine which used plug-in hybrid to buy.

Head over to kbb.com. Use their used car valuation tool to compare the sale price of a 5, 6 and 7 year old Volvo to its original price. Use 50k, 60k,and 70k miles as the mileage. Now divide the used price to the original price times 100 to get percentange. If the used value for a 5 year old car is less than 50% beware. If the 6 year price is less than 35%, reconsider. If the 7 year price is less than 20%, run far, run fast.

Used cars that lose their value faster than comparable models are usually cars to avoid.

2 Likes

I can only find 1 XC60 plug in hybrid in your price range within 500 miles of Seattle

is a 2019 and it has 97,000 miles on it.

You go $40k to $45k I can find a couple 2021’s with 40,000 to 45,000 miles on them.

Consumer Reports’ reliability ratings for the xc60 PHEV only go back as far as 2022, and they rate that 2 year old Volvo model as MUCH worse than average. On a scale of 0-100, they give it a reliability rating of 5. That is very close to the worst of the worst.

I seriously doubt if a 2019 xc60 with close to 100k miles would be more reliable than one that is only 2 years old, and my suggestion is to run away from this deal.

1 Like

40000.00 for a used Volvo - forget it . We had a new Volvo for 13 years and it was fine but no way I would buy a used Volvo out of warranty.

I also have a hard time with the plan to haul lumber and ladders in a XC60 .

1 Like

How about a Toyota Rav4? For a few years now a plug-in has been on the market. For reliability and longevity of the hybrid system, nobody equals Toyota’s reputation.

1 Like

The reliability of Toyota hybrids–including their plug-in models–is among the best in the industry for ALL types of vehicles. That is the good news, the bad news is that this reality could hike the price of a Toyota PHEV out of the OP’s desired price range.

2 Likes

I spoke too soon, based on this 2019 Rav4 Prime, with 45k miles, being offered by a Toyota dealer for $31k:

There is simply no comparison between the reliability of a Volvo PHEV and that of a Toyota PHEV. They are essentially in two different galaxies.

1 Like

I agree, the Rav4 Prime is the only game in town for what you want. Expand your search area and bump your budget up to $40,000, and I bet you’ll find some. There are 2 within 25 miles and 5 within 500 miles of me on cars.com.

1 Like

After thinking about the lumber and ladder part I would consider a new Ford Maverick hybrid . Of course finding one without a dealer markup might be a problem .

3 Likes

There are 18 new Maverick hybrids under $35,000 within 20 miles of me. Of course, not a plug-in. But I think a regular hybrid is a great option. That would open up dozens of Rav4 hybrids.

1 Like

One of my Dr’s said he has a Ford Maverick hybrid and has had a lot of electrical problems with his… but that could just be his, haven’t talked to any other owners…

Since the OP is in Cali, there might be a rebate or state government fee advantage to buying a plug in hybrid. Maybe they can use the HOV lane with one occupant too.

Thanks (so far) y’all! A lot of good useful answers. I’m ruling out the volvo based not only on them, but motor week reviewed a recent year, & damned I think, by saying very little good or bad even tho they test drove. I used the tool mustangman suggested (TX !) for mercedes glc350e 2019, which came in at 44%, which I’m thinking may be close enough (for me) to 50%. I’m finding rav4prime used just too pricey (I think) around here in sf bay area. And v. rare. The 1 vdc driver recommended is on the east coast.
–Keep sending your opinions please, I read them, thanks again and stay safe.

1 Like

There’s one in Hayward, one in Roseville, both between $35,000 and $40,000.
New and Used Toyota RAV4 Prime for Sale Near San Francisco, CA | Cars.com

Can’t say how they hold up longer term but the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV might be worth considering, I see a few around here but the dealer network isn’t nearly as robust as Toyota’s.

I looked up the Outlander PHEV on carcomplaints.com and NHTSA.gov. There are very few complaints. There are probably not many on the road either. Still, the manufacturer communications at NHTSA for the 2020MY were mostly electrical and then mostly explaining how the shop should respond to customers with issues and not failures.

1 Like

The Mitsu Outlander is essentially the same vehicle as the Nissan Rogue. Yes, the Outlander squeezes-in a 3rd row of seats, but they sit on the same chassis, have the same engine and transmission, and likely share a lot of other parts. If I was interested in an Outlander (I’m not), I would research the reliability record of the Nissan Rogue.

I just showed that one as an example of what is available, and what the price range might be. You need to do your own online searches for your specific area.