Volvo parts prices

Then I remember back in 1967 going to the VW dealership for a new rear bumper and the replacement brackets for my dad to weld in. Cost $10. Even then I was surprised at the low price, and it was chromed and even wrapped.

I don’t believe that I could fetch and install a fuel cap in 30 seconds however I am familiar with customer expectations.

I would not charge a labor fee for assisting a customer in installing a fuel cap, I can understand that a customer might be challenged with disconnecting and connecting the tether.

I have replaced many fuel caps and charged labor for doing so. Generally the customer brings the vehicle in for a check engine light on, if there is a fault for an evaporative emissions system leak the fuel system is pressure tested for leak, the leak identified and the fuel cap replaced if necessary. The customer leaves thinking that they just paid $150 for a fuel cap however installing the cap was free, the labor was for the diagnosis.

There wasn’t even a tether to detach because it had broken-off several years ago.
That is why the cap went missing.

I tried to buy a capacitor from my local AC repair shop. They sold me a capacitor for my pool pump a couple of years ago at a reasonable price. This time the parts guy asked if I had a contract with them, and I do not. The price he quoted was $99.50. I drove 15 miles to Grainger and bought two capacitors for $18 each.
When my AC contractor was doing my semi annual maint. I asked how much to replace the capacitor on the outside unit. If the tech was already on site and had charged the trip fee/diagnostic charge; the additional cost would be $169. The unit would already be open for the diagnostics.

I live in Southwest Florida with lots of lightning. I have a whole house surge protector but failed capacitors are common. My pool pump would only start if I pushed the start button on the timer. Capacitor looked ok, and wasn’t bulging. I can’t test micro farads. Local pool company said motor is bad. I asked why was it running if it’s bad ? No reply. Quote $443 plus tax. Remedy, new capacitor for under $20.

Not just Volvo. Walk into any high end dealership looking for parts you can easily find elsewhere, you can expect a wallet lightening. If you’re driving a high dollar car the assumption is you can afford stupid prices for things, and that assumption is often accurate. She did, after all, pay for the gas cap, right? She could have gone home and asked you, but at the end of the day, $120 to her isn’t all that big a deal.

It’s not just limited to parts!
I accompanied a friend to Nordstrom’s last weekend on a suit-buying expedition.
He found exactly what he wanted, although the price–$895–was bit steep.
He was measured for alterations, and we were both surprised that they are charging him $41 for alterations.

I recall that high-end stores never used to charge for clothing alterations, but apparently those days are gone!

1 Like

Those days are long gone as are free buffets in Las Vegas.

I’ve seen plenty of situations where a vehicle comes on with the mil illuminated, and the fuel filler cap missing . . .

Yet testing revealed that the vehicle had multiple other reasons for that leak code . . . bad purge valves and rotten fuel tank filler hoses being common

so the guy that just threw a cap on it might have been questioned, when the vehicle came back the next week with the same code, but no missing fuel filler cap. Some might even wonder if he performed improper and/or insufficient diagnosis

Here’s an interesting case I just remembered

A dually van came in because the mil was illuminated

The fuel filler cap was missing

However . . .

that wasn’t the reason for the mil

On this particular vehicle, the evap system didn’t monitor for leaks . . . in spite of it being an early OBD2

The mil was on for something completely different . . . absolutely unrelated to the missing cap

In defense of the dealer, I tend to withhold judgement because there is always that lingering “rest of the story” as Paul Harvey would say.

It could be that the high price of the cap could be due to Volvo hanging it on the dealer on what they have to pay for that cap.

An old story but for the benefit of those who haven’t heard.
Subaru OEM part cost the dealer 65 dollars and retails OTC for 95 dollars.

Same part at the NAPA store retails OTC for 68 dollars.

Should the dealer charge 65 to stay competitive with NAPA? Not in my book although the car owner thought so.

The real high-end shops will do it. The local store that’s been around since the owner’s grandpa opened it. The trick is to stay out of the big box stores, because they’ll nickel and dime you to death. This is true for most purchases, especially on the high-end.

I pretty much buy everything online now. The only store I go to is the supermarket.