Volvo, 1999, s70, 4wd, 122,000

I got this car for $10,000 in 2005 from a Volvo dealer when mileage was at 110,000. The dealer said that it was an one-owner car with mostly highway miles. I have so far spent almost $5,000 for various repair including the 120K service since I bought it. does this sound right or I just got a lemon?

I have so far spent almost $5,000 for various repair including the 120K service since I bought it. does this sound right or I just got a lemon?

First the 120K service is not a repair any more than the cost of gasoline.

Since I don’t know how much the service was or how much it should have been, I can’t even guess.

Repairs come unexpectedly. I don’t believe in the “lemon” theory. Some cars are going to be lucky and have fewer repairs and some people take better care overall of their cars and they will see fewer repairs on average.

Since you bought it used, consider this. Someone sold it. Maybe they sold it because they knew some or all of the repairs you did do were needed and they did not want to pay for them. Maybe they were hard on the car.

Repair and maintenance costs on Volvo vehicles can be quite expensive, especially if the work is done at the dealer.

There’s no way to know if the amount you quoted is “right” or not, since you didn’t tell us what repairs the vehicle needed.