Vision Test requirement for FL DMV?

Don’t know if the DMV would be interested in burning your incense but I think you will still need a license for a self driving car at least until they would be proven foolproof. I don’t know of any self driving car you can go out and buy now. I think the technology is nowhere as near ready as we thought it was going to be.

2 Likes

I moved from Ohio to Florida. Ohio tests one eye at a time, plus peripheral vision every time you renew. Florida, both eyes open, no peripheral test and the license is good for eight years.
I renewed my license on line, therefore no eye test, and I am 74 ! I get an annual eye test, but Florida says I am good until age 82 !

In Calif geezers such as myself have to pass an eye test every 5 years. They test both eyes independently. You cover one eye and read the chart with the other, then visa versa.

It’s unfortunate drugstores don’t have negative diopter eyeglasses (to improve distance focus) over the counter. They have over the counter positive (for reading), but not negative for some reason. If they had had a rack of negative diopter eyeglasses you could figure out your prescription for each eye by trial and error, then order a pair online. Wouldn’t be perfect, but then again wouldn’t cost much.

Oh no, not another one of George’s stories!!! I used to wear contacts, but decided to switch to glasses. I knew my contacts were too powerful, and I knew the contacts diopter correction for each eye, both negative. So I visited a drugstore while wearing the contacts and used the + diopter eyeglass rack to trial-and-error figure out the correct overall negative prescription. In other words if the contacts were -2.5, and I got the clearest vision with a combo of -2.5 for the contacts and +1.0 from the reading glasses, the correct prescription for glasses (and no contacts) is approximately -1.5 . I don’t like the two eyes to be different corrections b/c it makes the ground (or anything horizontal) look tilted. So I chose a number in between and got glasses w/both eyes corrected the same. The cost for the glasses online? $15. Worked great.

My daughter and 4 granddaughters all get their eyes tested and use the prescription to order online distance glasses with nice frames, anti glare coatings and scratch resistant coatings for under $30. They have all been happy with their glasses. Most insurance companies around here will give you one free eye test a year.

1 Like

rrappel8 , What is with all the links to places that sell things ? Someone might suspect that you are a free lance spammer.

No, I just keep track of what I’ve used successfully over the years, and who has the best prices, and willing to share my knowledge. There are no backlinks or whatever they call them, where I could make a few referral pennies.
Spam - aka Mystery Meat LOL

I use $39 sunglasses sometimes, after plus plus plus I end up with 2 pair for $150 or so.

Vision Test requirement for FL DMV?
Speaking of vision tests…
Do not forget an eye test! Regular check-ups become even more important as your eyes begin to age, which begins long before the retirement years.

I’m very thrifty (okay, cheap), but two things I will spend money on are a good mattress because I spend nearly a third of my life on one, and my eyes. Many eye problems can lead to some vision loss and even total blindness and many of these outcomes can be prevented if caught early enough and treatment is given.

A good optometrist can check for eye problems. I had a good one (on my golf league) and years ago he saw something with my eyes that troubled him a bit and he referred me to an ophthalmologist. Now I go to the ophthalmologist annually to be on the safe side.

My brother-in-law hadn’t had his eyes checked for a while. He decided it was time. Good thing he did. He needed minor outpatient surgery in both eyes to prevent loosing eyesight.

Also wear sunglasses whenever practical. Most will protect eyes from harmful UV radiation. Yes, one can develop melanoma of the eyes. Protect them. Consider polarized lenses for added benefits.

On the Suncoast here where it’s sunny practically every day, eye protection is a must, but even on cloudy days one needs protection. The sunglasses don’t have to be very dark. Check with your eye professional.

What are your eyes worth to you?
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses::palm_tree:

Fly me to the moon…

1 Like

So I lost a nice pair of prescription sunglasses and lost them. Now my prescription is more than 1 year old so I cannot buy another pair. I have done online prescription glasses order and they seem not to care about prescription date.

I ordered a pair online and for $40 they offered digital lenses. Curious I looked it up and found this. Hope it works, and thought you all might like to be aware of this.
“been described as the most important improvement in prescription eyewear in the last 100 years. The improvement wearers see in moving from traditional lenses to digital lenses has been compared to the difference between a tube television and a new high-definition television,”

Looks like marketing BS to me

1 Like

I will let you know!

Thank you!

1 Like

For those with strong and/or complicated corrective eyeglass lenses these DO make a positive difference. The distortion that often occurs around the periphal edges of traditionally ground lenses is greatly reduced or eliminated. Also, the thickness and therefore weight of the lenses is noticeably reduced.

I’ve been wearing glasses with strong, complicated correction since I was a young girl. Several years ago I tried digital lenses and won’t ever go back to non-digital.

Someone with minor to moderate simple correction may not notice an appreciable difference.

1 Like

If a “digital lens” has a more precise surface compared to the conventional type, then, yes, the “digital” would be expected to provided better vision. By how much, hard to say, the conventional lens fabrication methods seemed to be pretty good as far back as I was wearing glasses, in the early 70’s. The eye changes shape throughout the day, in part depends on what you eat, so at some point how precise the lens surface is machined is swamped by the daily eye-shape changing. If you have a lot of correction or aspherical corrections (like for astigmatism) the digital-improvement might be greater.

@George_San_Jose1 Since I am quite near-sighted, have severe astigmatism with unusually severely differing axis from one eye to other, have minor prism correction for an eye muscle imbalance, and for some years now have had progressive bifocals, digital lenses are definitely worth the extra cost for me. I’ll take all the visual advantage I can get. I see well with up to date glasses but am blind as a bat without them. I won’t even back the car out of the garage without my glasses on.

1 Like

I’m minus 6.5 in both eyes, so I’m definitely “quite” near-sighted

How is that nobody has brought up digital lenses when I’m getting a new prescription, considering I’m probably somebody that might benefit from them . . . ?!

3 Likes

I probably will not know until spring, as once the golf ball goes past 150 yards I loose it. Only -1.5 but with one eye that has good vision my eye doc does not want to risk the 5 to 10% chance of total blindness for cataract surgery. My golf bud great eyes, he is 72, did you see it? yes he says, where did it go? I don’t remember he says. I was amazed the first time I got prescription glasses how easy it was to read the roadway signs for streets. Maybe 20 years ago I got my first pair of prescription glasses. I can still drive legally without glasses, but prefer not to.
Hoping digital lenses will help for golf.

At my most near sighted I was -4.25 and -4.50 but in recent years have gotten a bit better back to -3.75 now but still have the severe astigmatism, the bifocals, and in the past few years developed cataracts that have made me adapt and even curtail some of my driving after dark.

I can relate to losing definite sight of the ball playing golf. And to not being able to read road signs nearly as far away as I’d prefer. Ever since interstate road signs became larger, in clearer font, and made reflective some years ago, it has made reading road signs much easier.

1 Like

As a kid, my eyesight rapidly degraded

By the time I was a teenager, it was pretty much as bad as it is now . . . I’m 47 . . . so for about 30 years it’s been pretty steady

Except that as of this year, I’m wearing multifocals . . . multifocal contact lenses at work and multifocal glasses when I’m not at work

It did take a few weeks to fully adjust to the multifocals

I must say I’ve had better luck with the multifocal glasses, versus the multifocal contact lenses

Apparently I have mild astigmatism, but not enough to prevent me from wearing soft contact lenses

Every time I go for an eye exam, it’s noted I have floaters. Those of you that have them know what I’m talking about, but they don’t bother me

Even though I don’t ave cataracts, I don’t really like driving at night. I’d prefer not to, if it was up to me. But there’s not always a choice