Virginia's DMV has a surprise for the owners of fuel-efficient vehicles…

Still, who would trust a mechanic knowing they are wrong 95% of the time?

A broken (analog) clock is right twice a day.

4 Likes

Exactly…like the time Sara Palin made the extremely stupid comment while on a trip to Boston that the ride of Paul Revere was to warn the people that the British were here to take your guns away. When she was blasted on social media about her stupidity…her idiot followers went into Wikipedia to change Paul Revere’s ride to her view. It was quickly changed back to true history.

2 Likes

It’s entirely legitimate to point out your grammatical errors in a post in which you are using grammar to defend someone behaving in a derogatory manner toward a political party.

You’ll also note that the first objection to your claim, from me, did not refer to your grammar stumbles, but instead to your factual error.

Calling a Democratic governor a “Democrat governor” is as wrong as calling a Republican governor a “Republicon governor.” We can refer to parties and people by their real names, and then pillory them on the issues rather than childish insults.

Personally, I dislike 8-year-old behavior in political discourse no matter who is perpetrating it. I find it just as annoying to see “Democrat governor” or “Obummer” as I do to see “Republicon” or “tRump.”

3 Likes

Hi, I’m not shutting this down but just a plug for redirecting away from this subject matter because it gets the discussion into the ditch. Thank you!

5 Likes

There are no Amish where I live, although there are a couple of Mennonite communities in Texas, but they are a bit more liberal, allowing the use of cars, with limitations.

Mexican Mennonites have no problems with pneumatic tires on their buggies.

But on dirt roads, it probably doesn’t matter.

In PA, in addition to Amish and some Mennonites who use horses and wagons, one group of Mennonites who drive cars are nicknamed the “Black Bumper” Mennonites because of their avoidance of chrome trim. Obviously, all that someone has to do nowadays is to order a black car, but back in the days of chrome bumpers, members of that sect used to coat their bumpers with black paint.

1 Like

That’s not all that was done. Proof-reading errors in an internet post do not warrant judgement of “validity of viewpoint” simply because “they both relate to grammar”. Fat thumbs, small screens, skeuomorphic “buttons”, auto correct etc. are all part and parcel of this format. The point being discussed was not related to that.

Sheer bull-headedness to assert anything else and to do so simply illustrates weakness of viewpoint.

Your last comment shows you’re not open to viewpoints and just searching for disparate examples. As pointed out Democrat is a correct, common and normalised noun for a member of The Democratic Party whereas Rebublicon is derogatory. That you’re trying to equate them is nonsense.

Here’s were I say agree to disagree but I’m only speaking for myself. Don’t actually care if you do or don’t. Out.

1 Like

Continued repetition of wrongness doesn’t make it any less wrong. Withdrawing from an argument that you are losing does not stop you from losing it.

You have yet to refute the notion that the proper name for the party is the Democratic party, not the Democrat party. If you really want to play grammar games with me, have at.

The grammatically proper way to refer to a member of the Democratic Party who is governor is either “the Democratic governor,” or if you absolutely hate typing “ic,” you could say “the governor, who is a Democrat.”

This is because when used prior to a noun, a proper name is not, as you insist, also a noun, but a proper adjective. It describes the noun with the proper name of the noun’s affiliation (the adj Democratic noun governor). As such, it’s discourteous to change that proper adjective into the pejorative of your choosing. We do not, after all, say “the Texan resident,” because the proper adjective, i.e., the actual name, of that state is “Texas.”

And if you and your supporters dislike Wikipedia as a source, how about one of your presidents? W referred to the Democratic party as the “Democrat majority” in one of his State of the Union speeches. A few days later, he apologized, admitting “my diction isn’t that good. I occasionally mangle the English language.” Or how about another of your presidents, Mr. Trump, who admitted to the pejorative gladly, explaining “basically, it annoys them more.” (source)

What this seems to boil down to is that you do not feel you owe anyone the respect of calling them by their actual name, the one by which they wish to be called. That you can’t muster such simple courtesy says much more about you than it does about the rules of proper English.

4 Likes

“(that’s our Democrat Governor)…” will you say our ‘Republic’ governor when the office changes hands to the other party?

2 Likes

Can we all just move along now without an additional dissertation. The real reason for the sensitivity I think has nothing to do with punctuation so we all get it. Hair on fire.

2 Likes

Agreeing with Bing—please let’s drop this.

3 Likes

Bingo. I can tell from a quick glance whether a buggy is Amish or Weaverland Mennonite. And the Black Bumper Mennonite churches are also very easy to spot on Sunday morning.

My wife’s family is Mennonite, but newer order Mennonite. They have no restrictions on the type or color of cars they can drive, clothing they can wear, etc. They don’t wear coverings or anything like that, and they’re (mostly) LGBTQ+ supportive, particularly in my in-laws church. Most of the Mennonite orders anymore don’t limit the use of cars, though some will limit the choice of colors.

As a school counselor, I worked with two kids from some sort of “newer” Mennonite order. They were wonderful, high-achieving teens, and they don’t seem to have suffered at all from a lack of TVs, radios, or computers in their home.

One day, it dawned on me that these folks had no way of knowing when the schools were closed as a result of inclement weather or other unusual circumstance, so it became part of my routine to phone them (yes, they had a phone) right after the Vice-Principal phoned me about a school closure. Their mother was extremely appreciative that I took the time to phone them.

They both went on to higher education, with the girl becoming a Special Education Teacher, and the boy becoming a Critical Care Nurse. They were probably the nicest family with which I ever worked.

2 Likes

Imagine that, a formula for creating good citizens.