Virginia's DMV has a surprise for the owners of fuel-efficient vehicles…

You think you’re the ONLY person who ever thought of this? You don’t think engineers and scientists across the world are working on solving this?

Barriers to Renewable Energy Technologies | Union of Concerned Scientists (ucsusa.org)

Solutions for a Renewable-Powered Future (irena.org)

Solutions to the energy crisis: how to achieve sustainable energy? (solarimpulse.com)

I’m lucky I live near some of the top science universities in the world which is in the middle of some of the best research centers in the world. There are great minds who have seen this problem decades ago and have been working toward a solution. Some have dedicated their lives work toward that end.

From my understanding Oregon was encouraging Hybrid and EV owners to sign up for this per mile plan because depending on their annual mileage they’d save money over the fixed $75/yr for a Hybrid.

Heh heh heh. When I was young, I learned to always let my sister have the last word. It was much more peaceful then. I’m sure I’m not the “only” one that ever thought of such things but I have never missed voting in an election-except once.

Onstar gives me a monthly report on my driving and vehicle info in general. With how often I charge my vehicle and how far I drive, it’s usually telling me that I’m often getting between 100-120MPG equivalent.
I put about 1600 miles on the car since November when I got it, so my annual cost per mile(roughly 3500 miles per year) is WAY more than me former CX-7 paying about $45/year. Though the cost for oil changes/maintenance and tanks of gas probably even things out

You, and the rest of NV, have my sympathies for registering cars

The easiest problems to tell people you(the politician) are going to fix are the ones they create themselves. I always charge at home, though there are some public ones close by if I needed one in a pinch. I would totally go for a mileage based registration for EV owners.

I had asked the company about buying a battery to store my excess energy when they were quoting me prices and he said they would sell me one, but the guy personally didn’t like the way they are right now, plus to buy one would cost me about $16,000- which was about a grand more than what the company is charging me for a new roof and the install of 5 panels(all they could fit on there) on the roof. At $16,000, I could buy 3 or 4 natural gas backup generators for the house when the power goes off.
I’d love to be able to have the extra energy for when the power goes out on those rare occasions here- it was off for a couple hours yesterday- but with the panels being tied into the grid, I cannot use them due to the chances of the electric zapping one of the workers when they get the grid back online(their words, not mine)

There is a special panel that every electrical code in this country requires that isolates the grid during a power outage. It is also required for permantly mounted generators. Small generators are not allowed to be plugged into your homes electrical panels. Appliances can be plugged into them through extension cords only.

1 Like

The plug in cars all track their usage and communicate with the internet, so adding in per mile fee tracking should be simple, unlike the other high mpg cars out there. So bump up the gas tax and add a per mile fee for cars that plug in. Everything to encourage higher mpgs and lower use.

It’s use there is as a noun and is entirely, semantically correct. For comparison, take the phrase “game ball” - game isn’t being used in it’s adjectival form but in it’s noun form. Entirely correct.

I have predicted that the days of electric cars being allowed to freeload on untaxed energy would be numbered. It costs the same to build and maintain highways if electric cars or gas cars use them. I propose replacing the gas tax with a mileage tax with a rate based on vehicle weight and number of wheels. Amish buggies are free provided they have pneumatic tires and the horses are not shod with steel horseshoes.

Why should the Amish get a free pass? The roads are for their use, too. Same can be said of bicyclists.

Except that it’s not the “Democrat Party,” it’s the “Democratic Party.”

If someone is a member of the Democratic Party, they should properly be referred to as “the Democratic governor,” not “the Democrat governor.” Proper name usage aside, the latter phrase structure has been used since the 40’s as a derogatory by the party’s opponents. So when you see someone say “the Democrat governor,” you are well-justified to make educated guesses as to their intent.

5 Likes

+1
Additionally, I would hesitate to take advice regarding language usage from someone who posted the following:

:thinking:

4 Likes

no they aren’t, at least not in PA.

I said they should be, not are. Steel buggy tires and steel horseshoes do a lot of damage to asphalt pavement and that’s why they have to pay an annual road use tax. I believe that road tax should be reduced or forgiven if they use rubber tires and shoe their horses with soft horseshoes.

Fair enough to point out the apostrophe typo but not to use it ad hominem.

A member of The Democratic party is commonly referred to as a Democrat (a proper noun) not a Democratic (a proper adjective). So referring to the Governor as a compound noun is correct.

That doesn’t mean Democratic Governor isn’t correct, which I neither said nor implied.

I think what’s tripping you both up here is that they’re both semantically correct but when it comes to politics Americans don’t seem to have that a capacity for mutual inclusivity - for 2 different things to be right.

It’s not ad hominem to question the grammatical competence of someone who misuses apostrophes twice in a row.
Misuse twice in a row casts doubt that it’s a simple typo.

Lastly, I don’t find the mumbo-jumbo about compound nouns convincing re. the OPs intent.

2 Likes

Why so sensitive? But then use a source like Wikipedia and Media Matters to make your case. Media Matters is a complete hack organization and articles in Wiki depend on who wrote them and edite4d them. In Minnesota it’s the Democratic Farmer Labor party anyway after Hubert Humphrey and Orville Freeman chased the communists out in 1948. They are both dead now.

Maybe they use the rubber tires and soft shoes where you live, but they don’t in my part of PA. I know the damage they do, I drive the same roads they use every day. They also don’t collect the horse droppings leaving them in the road to get washed into rivers when it rains. My county is sadly well known for the amount of pollution that runs into the Chesapeake Bay from it. Considering the tax money collected from them likely doesn’t cover the damage they do to the roadways, I don’t favor a reduction of their road tax.

1 Like

edits in Wikipedia are regularly reviewed and erroneous or added information without valid citations are flagged and/or removed. My retired great uncle is one of the folks who helps with this. At least Wikipedia has their sources listed at the bottom of the article, more than I can say about the vast majority of news sources…The view that Wikipedia shouldn’t be trusted as a source is an outdated one, frankly.

4 Likes

I think that is because most readers won’t take the time to check the sources. USA Today list sources, but only in their fact check articles, so that the reader can see how they arrived at their fact or fallacy assessment. My local paper identifies sources when they are allowed by the source to do so, and that seems to be standard practice for other newspapers too.

That’s exactly what ad hominem is - directing at the person rather than the point.
Even a complete novice, idiot, you-tube watching, diy mechanic can be correct when pointing out a leaking coolant hose as a cause of engine overheating. Their lack of credential or 95% failure on all other points doesn’t negate the truth of the fault.
Right is right.

You’re not doing yourself any credibility favours by throwing red herrings into the popular fallacy mix. Who claimed “Democrat Party” was valid? Certainly not me.