Vice grips are not safety equipment

your right. I stand corrected

.It was my car I was putting a pail of hot water on to get to work as fast as possible. They would have the school bus waiting and warmed up for me by the time I got there.

Vise grips can be safety equipment. I as pulling long doubles down the Thruway from Buffalo to Utica and meeting Mass. drivers for a Mass based company. It was only about a month before they went bankrupt,

A wheel bearing failed and the right fron wheel and drum assembly came off the front trailer, struck the guard rail, bounced back and broke all the bolts that secured the landing gear on the rear trailer. The wheel and drum assembly went down into the medianand came uo outgoing over the top of a small Hyundai and spitting a bearing roller through the windshield and burning a hole in the carper and disapperint through a woods and possibly a cornfield.

After filling out an accident report with the state police I had to wait hour for inspectors from the NY State Thruway Department to inspect the equipment and fill out an accident report for them. The decertified both because of obvious lack of maintenance which meant the trailers and the tractor could not be part of a long doubles (Thruway Tandem) set but did not lift my doubles permit. I had to leave ! trailer and the dolly at the next exit but first I had to get them mobile first. I used a tree branch and rocks to lift the axle clear of the ground and secured it with my tire chains the every TT numbered tractor is required to carry, I took that trailer off the next exit with the dolly behind it and dropped them in the doubles compound,

I spotted a Dollar Tree just off the exit and went and bought 6 off brand vise grips, This was in 1989 and went back to the trailer that I has left on the Thruway. Lowering the landing gear when I dropped the trailer had forced the landing gear tight against the trailer frame rail and I jut used the 6 vise grips to clamp the frame rail and landing gear together. Then off to Utica where the driver I was meeting had to give me his tractor because mine could no longer pull double trailers.