Vibration after changing rotors but not when braking

I have a 2008 odyssey. We replaced the rear rotors but forgot the ebrake was engaged so we had trouble getting the first rotor off. We ended up hammering it to death a bit and prying it off. Getting the new rotor on was also a little tough. Second rotor was a breeze. Now when driving there is an intermittent vibration, really bad, mostly as the car picks up speed. If I stop and continue it stops for a bit but them continues.

After letting car rest a while I drove it for 30 minutes and some at high speeds and no vibration at all.

Any thoughts? I’m guessing not rotor related since it isn’t when braking. Bent wheel hub? Tire balance? Why wouldn’t it vibrate again?I don’t think we cleaned the hub off with spray or the new rotors. Could the issue worked itself out?

Does the wheel get warmer than the others after driving a few miles with minimal brake use?
That would indicate a dragging brake.
Old calipers sometimes act up after being disturbed from their routine for pad/rotor replacement.
Flushing the brake fluid every 3 years can extend the life of brake components.
Also possible the hammering damaged the hub or wheel bearing.

2 Likes

I think that this is the most likely scenario. One of our teachers had work done in the school’s auto shop.
I witnessed a kid beating on her left rear brake drum with a BIG hammer, and a few days later she had a bearing failure.

1 Like

Another idea, the new rotor may not be seating against the hub properly. You could try removing it and re-installing, and verifying that the hub’s seating surface is clean and smooth. Another test is to see if it has an unusual amount of run-out. Figure out a way to hold the point of a pencil steady, & close to, but not touching the rotor, then spin the wheel by hand. The distance shouldn’t change very much as the rotor spins. Next, to verify the rotor is properly centered on the axis of rotation, do the same test, but place the pencil tip at the rotor’s outer edge.

The new rotors might be defective, not be drilled correctly, another idea.

Yet another idea, the wheel might not be placed on the hub correctly. Make sure that the nuts that hold the wheel on are oriented correctly, and are tightened in 3 rounds to the final torque spec, in the correct sequence.

Misery loves company. I had this same problem on my prior VW Rabbit many years ago. I heated the stubborn rotor w/a propane torch, banged and banged with a big hammer, no matter what I did, wouldn’t budge. Then I decided to rest a little from all the banging, laying under the car. All of a sudden the rotor fell off by itself, landing on my leg… lol … apparently it took some time for the heat to get where it was needed .