Vibrating steering wheel

Hi all! I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT. It is a 6 speed. A couple weeks ago I hauled a bunch of dirt from a hardware store to my home. After doing the math, I realized that I was transporting 1,200 pounds at once. I drove about 4 miles, and immediately unloaded the car. After that I noticed a strange low-pitched vibration noise coming from the back of the car. Then today I noticed that my steering wheel is beginning to shake while driving over 30 mph. (I’m guessing the two events are related.) Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong, and what I could do to fix it?

You need to take this to a local alignment shop and have them inspect everything. There are all sorts of issues that are possible, including perhaps things that have nothing to do with hauling dirt around. It could be as simple and benign as weird tire wear. It could be as unpredictable and dangerous as a failing ball joint.

You don’t need a dealer. You also should avoid corporate chain operations - just a local, independent, alignment shop.