Vehicle designed to be DIY'er Servicable?

That Nexcel system which common sense answer mentioned will do absolutely nothing, in regards to engines burning oil, leaking oil, etc.

If nothing else, it will promote the idea that cars are “maintenance-free” . . . which is decidedly NOT the case

Not only that, but exactly how many sizes would there be . . . I’m talking about the “module”

And assuming they’re prefilled, you’d have to make sure it’s filled with the correct viscosity for YOUR engine.

I see all sorts of potential problems, at least initially

it’s possible that such a system will be commonplace or standard some day, but during the transition period, there may be some teething problems

It makes me think of dry-sump systems for certain sports cars

1 Like

From the photo’s above it seems like it uses a lot of space in the easily accessible portion of the engine compartment too. Space which would be better served for other purposes for a diy’er minded car owner.

1 Like

I’m sure at first it will be relatively expensive. Only one car Make/Model currently uses it, the $2.3 million Aston Martin Vulcan :money_mouth_face: and I’m pretty sure the owners aren’t concerned about cost. :wink:

Cost is expected to drop as more cars adapt. Time savings is important to many owners and their time saved translates to dollars. :sunny:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160516/RETAIL05/305169991/obstacles-on-the-road-to-a-90-second-oil-change

Hey George, I buy oil by the jug and multiple filters, but I get no joy crawling under the cars, particularly in foul weather. I would welcome being able to stand up and quickly change the oil.

It’s not just about us, either. My daughter in college, for just one example, has time scheduling issues. It’s tough for her to make an appointment for an oil change and her apartment complex probably frowns on people with cars up on ramps.

These “oil cells” will be able to be exchanged for fresh units and the old ones will be recycled (recharged).

Besides, can “iffy lube” places figure out a way to screw up an oil change with this system? It’s not likely, right? :clown_face:
CSA

You underestimate them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

So the thing goes at the top of the engine. Which means the oil has to be pumped up into it before you can change it. Which means you have to have an electric pump in the sump to accomplish that, either in addition to or instead of the engine-driven pump cars already have. Seems like you’re adding complexity to solve a problem that most people don’t consider to be a problem. 20 bucks for an oil change every 5 or 6 months isn’t really a big deal to most people, and I guarantee that carbon fiber thing is going to cost more than 20 bucks.

2 Likes

Where there’s a will, there’s a way…

:smirk:

Actually, there would have to be many models of this unit, to account for different viscosities, different amounts, etc. And probably different shapes and couplings.

After all, if auto manufacturers could not standardize on where the gas cap is located, after 100 years, how could they standardize on this?

4 Likes

I’d think the Nexcel would be part of a dry sump system.
Making an oil change so simple from above means other inspections that should be done at oil change time will likely be neglected.

I agree with you, but I can’t figure out why this forum’s software makes it look like I said “can ‘iffy lube’ places figure out a way to screw up an oil change with this system?”, rather than CSA, whom I was quoting.

:thinking:

They’re doing conventional oil changes in under 15 minutes now. Just how much actual checking is really going on during those changes?

I’d buy into this in a heartbeat. No more crawling under the vehicle, simple to exchange etc. I see these “boxes” on the shelf at Walmart in the same way I see 5 quart oil jugs now…simple.

1 Like

Yes it would - which requires a scavenge pump to get the oil out of the engine, and then a pressure pump to get the oil back up into the Nexcel box. Oh, and a pressure relief system for the lower holding tank so that the pressure pump is only pumping oil. In short, you’re adding complexity and expense to the system in order to probably not save any money, because I can’t imagine Nexcel charging you less than 20 bucks for an oil change box.

Why does it need to be cheaper? or even the same amount? I’m willing to pay more for the convenience factor. I bet a lot of people would too. The people already going to quicky lube places might not see the benefit unless some of that labor savings offsets the cost of the service. Heck, they sold people on Nitrogen for tires so this should be easy :wink:

1 Like

I think that’s what I’m driving at. What convenience factor? Whether you use Jiffy Lube, or your dealership’s quick-oil-change lane, you drive in, sit in your car fooling with your phone for 10 minutes, then drive away. You don’t have to do anything else. It doesn’t get much more convenient than that.

This thing requires you to open your hood, an activity to which some people seem allergic. Then you have to disconnect the old box, and connect the new box, and even if it’s set up so that you just click it in and out of place without having to turn any locks or screws, it’s still gonna drip some oil because everything that has oil in it and an opening of any kind will drip some oil, so now you have to clean that up, and then you have to do whatever it is you do to dispose of the old box, which even if it’s just leaving it on the front steps for the UPS guy to pick up is still less convenient than sitting in your car playing on your phone.

And while you’re at it, you have to top off the washer fluid because the quick lube guy isn’t doing that for you anymore, which means you have to go buy washer fluid, and then store it somewhere, and… and…

I’m not saying this would be a difficult job, but we are now in an era when people find it horribly inconvenient to drive to the grocery store and buy groceries, so they get a delivery service to do the shopping for them. I think telling them “here’s this heavy box full of a bunch of oil and all you have to do is pop the hood and swap boxes and then fill your washer fluid and then clean up any dribbles and then mail the old box back to us” is going to be a non-starter when you’re competing with “Stop your car here and play Candy Crush for 10 minutes.”

Speaking of Candy Crush, do people actually spend time diddling with that silliness?

1 Like

The people that use Iffy Lube won’t change and suddenly want to do it on their own. They will still sit and play CCS for 10 minutes. It will be transparent to them. The additional cost will be explained away as something that helps to protect them and the environment (who cares if any of that is actually true). They will stil be checking other fluids and so on as part of their “value added” service.

What it does change- makes it more convenient for me. Recycling oil is very difficult process for me now. Put into clear containers- can’t use old oil jug, that goes in trash. Recycling won’t take container used for oil. Then go to place when they are open to accept used oil, show ID, sign forms ugggh.

The prospect of a sealed box dropped off where I bought it is appealing and less polluting to boot.

1 Like

Since the company is worth an estimated 7.8 BILLION DOLLARS…I’d say yes.

1 Like

I’m somehow out of the loop on a great deal of current trends. But if CCS is as unconcerned with my not playing as I am for not even knowing how to play we have both won.

1 Like

Sorry, I guess it’s my fault that you didn’t pick up on my sarcasm, but I thought adding “right?” and a clown would give it away.
CSA

1 Like

There’s even a CC game show on TV now. That’s how you know it may have peaked.

Kids have moved on to Hungry Shark World anyway…

Whoa Nellie! Hold on a minute. I have a 20 mile ride to town after I make an appointment (dealer or repair shop) to get an oil change, unless I want to take my car to WM and then the wait could be up to 2 hours or so. Most people who frequent this site wouldn’t take their car there, including me. That’s not a viable option. My town has no quick oil places.

Guys like me, and I’m sure there are quite a few of us across the country, choose to change our own oil because that is about the only convenient way to get it changed.

The real problem with that is that sometimes I am forced to change oil during long periods of adverse weather. I’ve been doing that for years!

Do you have any idea how much I’d enjoy opening the hood of one of our many cars, lifting a handle on an oil cell, lifting it out, setting in a new one and snapping the handle down?

Although these oil cells might not be for everybody, they are great for many, many, others! I know lots of busy people that don’t like to spend the time trying to get an oil change who’d love to have the oil cell system! I play golf with dozens of them.

Think: Rural America! We don’t all live in cities.
CSA

1 Like