Vehicle designed to be DIY'er Servicable?

@the_same_mountainbik It has been quite a few year’s since I have been there I have picked up & delivered a few loads in one of the Boston suburb’s never been in Boston proper but always wanted to see the historical sites but that is a problem with driving a truck a lot of place’s you can’t get to & not enough time time to use public transportation but the people I talked to say they talk normal but it sure sounded funny to my southern ear’s.

YEP, last-gen Outback.

I’ve heard from a friend on mine, his [relatively new] 4Runner has similar design.

That old Chebbie pickup was awfully basic in every aspect. I finally replaced the shift tube on mine and that was the most demanding repair that I recall doing on mine or similar models.Of course with no power steering, AC, automatic transmission or 4-wheel drive a great many potentially failing parts were left in Detroit and their absence made plenty of room to get at what was there. Mine was a 6 cylinder and changing a water pump was a breeze. Replacing the clutch was a <1 hour job including replacing U-joints. For the DIYer rear axle bearings could be a pain but with the correct slide hammer it was just an hour +/- of grunting.

1 Like

Yes, that is a convenient spot. However since you have to get underneath for the drain plug, isn’t that much less convenient to place the filter underneath either. And placing the filter down under frees ups space on the topside where it is needed to make diy’er jobs easier up there. All of my vehicles have had down under filter and that location never caused any problem for me anyway. Like I say, physics dictate the drain plug has to be down under so you’re going to be underneath the car anyway doing a diy’er oil change.

getting the drain plug removed, I have only few drops on my hand, and since I use a surgical glove, virtually no dirt on hands.

filter is totally different animal - every time I would make a mess, even with all precautions: if not on hands, then around

getting filter top-mounted as on this Subie is really a sales-factor for me, but I’m not really shopping for a new car any time soon… until Japs figure out their CVT mess :slight_smile:

Truckers have my utmost respect. Getting around urban areas in a truck would give me nightmares. I don’t know how you guys do it.

I never knew I had an accent until I went into the military… and was repeatedly told I have a heavy northeastern accent.

1 Like

Insightful wins it!

First off, getting oil on your hands is a sign you are accomplishing something … lol … what I do to minimize the oil filter removal mess is loosen it from below, then I remove it the rest of the way from above. Any oil that comes out just runs down the filter and into the drain pan below. Once completely loose, I just let the filter then drop into the drain pan. I don’t retrieve it, I pour the oil out into a container, and bag up the filter in the plastic bag I lined the drain pan with beforehand.

I can see however why diy’ers might like that top-side filter, but to make a judgement you have to know what all the downsides to that arrangement are.

I personally prefer filters that have the openings on the upside when mounted.
Granted, I’ve had filters that were not and still got great longevity out of the engines, and the mounting in the photo would certainly seem like it would be less messy to change, but openings upside is a preference I have.

@the_same_mountainbik Talk about accent’s y’all would say that I sound funny to you.

Not to me. I watch “In The Heat Of The Night”.

1 Like

Congratulations to @insightful

But is the truck a C10, as I asked?

Yup. A '75 C10 (pictured) or '74 C20, depending on which scene it’s in. For some reason they used two obviously different trucks.

The two photographs seem to me to be the same truck on the same road. The front fender insignia painted over with a different shade of blue, no hub caps, traveling alongside a river with 3 passengers makes for a great deal of coincidence otherwise.

There’s a shot of the two trucks used. The one on the right was used in the countryside scenes, while the left was used for urban scenes. Note the difference in grilles, as well as the different number of lug nuts.

The weird thing is that I haven’t been able to find a definitive reason why they used a different truck, though I did see a passing reference to the idea that one of them was destroyed somehow… Which doesn’t make sense because the truck was never used in any stunts, it just drove around.

Could be two different filming locations. Cheaper to find another similar truck in the other location then to ship/drive the truck there.

Given how bad some movies are regarding matching vehicles, or even getting the right year for the time of the movie, this is a very minor oversight. Only true car nuts (like us) would recognize it.

Yeah, I thought that, but the whole thing was shot in LA and San Francisco. You’d think it’d be cheaper to have some gofer drive the truck overnight to the new location.

You might be amazed at how much a studio spends (or claims to spend) for that kind of thing. I believe Fess Parker was in a long-running dispute with the “Daniel Boone” studio over costs, they claimed his #1 show lost money because of the expenses, so he was owed $0.

I didn’t notice it. Those things are trivial. What I always complain about is military and insignia. One of the bigger blunders was babalon-5 when they replaced the head of the station. First station head was a Navy commander (O5) and had the right insignia (silver Oak Leaf). They replaced him with a Captain (O6) - however the insignia was that of a (Marine, Army or Airforce) captain (two silver bars)…instead of the Eagle (Navy Captain or Army/Marine/Airforce Coronel). If he truly was a Marine Captain (O3)…that’s a little to low of a rank to be in charge of a large station.