Variable Cylinder Management

I am considering a Honda Odyssey with Variable Cylinder Management (running on 3, 4, or 6 Cylinders). Most driving will be highway (with few hills). Is this a good choice? Reliability?

You should base your decision on your needs, rather than one specific feature. If you’re going to be highway driving alone 95% of the time, a van is not a good choice.

Check out Consumer Report mag or other publication for the latest test of this vehicle. Hondas have a reputation for reliability, but this is no guarantee that the cylinder management system is reliable. I’d wonder if it really improves fuel mileage, or is it just a gimmick?

I agree with Lars, and I too have wondered whether there’s more marketing than true efficiency improvement in these systems. We had a very lengthy thread on this subject a while back and the consensus was a definite maybe.

From my understanding they may actually save you gas. Not sure exactly hoe much though. And hopefully it’s far more reliable then the 80’s version of this. GM never got it right…The fix was to disable it and run on all 8 cylinders all the time.

Historically, this system has sucked like an old Hoover. The facts may have changed of late. There are always improvements. Honda hasn’t failed yet at this.

Did someone mention the Cadillac V8-6-4?

Seriously, Cadillac did this about 25 years ago and it bombed. Keep in mind that the typical Cadillac buyer is very demanding about a smooth ride and maximum performance. I would spend a lot of time driving the Odyessy and see how well it runs.

I have an Ody with VCM. You have to be pretty astute to feel any change in the number of cylinders. Cannot promise I see a great increase in gas mileage, but I have gotten 30mpg on a trip from Philly, Pa, to Columbus, OH- not bad for such a large vehicle (and I was driving at 70mph).

ref