Vanilla Ice Cream Allergy

Most likely this fable was invented in the early '50s, and closely resembles the problems solved by “Gus”, the friendly old mechanic featured in Mechanics Illustrated (or, was it Popular Mechanics) who figured out all manner of odd automotive issues and charged something like 92 cents to repair the problem.

I’m glad someone else remembers the stories from the Model Garage that featured the proprietor Gus Wilson. This monthly feature started back in the 1920’s and ran through the 1970 issue. There were three different writers of the stories, but all the writers used the pen name Martin Bunn. I started reading these Gus tales when I was in 7th grade. However, this story about the vanilla ice cream is too far fetched even for Gus.

It’s when the pump didn’t come on after the toilet was flushed that we knew we had problems.

I had to move to the boonies when I was 40 to experience a house that had a septic tank and not hooked up too the city sewer, much less,well water.

In my “hippie” days in Siskiyou County we built our own septic tanks, didn’t not need no stinking code, water was out of the creek (after all those people bathing? the things we got away with).