Van mysteriously won't start sometimes

If the engine cranks okay when the starting problem happens I suggest you check for an ignition problem. Make sure power is getting to the ignition while the trouble is occurring.

OK. I was confused by your comment above about replacing the starter motor, thinking you did that b/c it was a no-crank. But your problem as I understand now is it cranks ok either cold or warm, but sometimes doesnā€™t catch and run during warm starts. Instead it just keeps cranking, but never starts. hmmmm ā€¦ well thatā€™s almost certainly either a no-spark problem or a no-fuel problem. Fuel pumps, ignition modules, and crank position sensors all tend to be heat sensitive, so one of those is the most likely culprit. Easiest test is to determine if thereā€™s a healthy blue-white spark at a spark plug during cranking at a time this fails to start symptom is occurring.

Yes! Absolutely correct!
And there are a lot of folks with the exact same problem with their fords, and everyone just keeps throwing parts at themā€¦but nobody posts exactly what it was when they pinpoint the exact part that failedā€¦
Thanks for your inputā€¦
I will post which part failed on my vehicle as soon as i track it downā€¦

Some Fords have an EGR-related part that is very difficult to diagnose, at least according to posts here. I donā€™t see mention of this problem much these days however, presumably itā€™s been addressed. It is called the DPFE, something like that. What it does is decide how much EGR to apply for the driving condition. It modulates the EGR function in other words. If that part fails and applies too much EGR the engine will run poorly and may be impossible to start. Not saying that is what your problem is, just something to consider.

Well, now the motor was dying at redlights on the way to second jobā€¦
Now has me strandedā€¦
Bought two new tires for her this morningā€¦

I just replaced mass ait flow sensorā€¦
No startā€¦
Changed dpfeā€¦
No startā€¦
Changed coolant temp sensorā€¦
No startā€¦
Hit it with starting fluidā€¦
Backfiredā€¦
Still no startā€¦

Changed intake temp sensorā€¦

You might want to check the cylinder compression. If it is considerably lower than expected then you should check for a valve timing issue.

Going after crankshaft position sensor right nowā€¦

Johnny , it appears you are just throwing parts at this problem . That will only let you spend money and may never solve your problem.

Yes i know i was throwing parts at itā€¦
And i absolutely hate doing thatā€¦
As to why i came to forumsā€¦
To try to help me pinpoint my problemā€¦
Because there are many of people with this exact same problemā€¦
And i have read many posts here where techs threw parts at peoples vehicles and charged the whammy out of themā€¦only for the symptoms reappearā€¦

I have found the problemā€¦

Crankshaft position sensor was the animal giving me these problemsā€¦
Me warming up right side of oil pan should have been a dead give away, being that the cps is located on that side of motorā€¦
I am not a ford guy so i am not farmiliar with these motorsā€¦

Well good for you. But the next time please start your own thread.

Oh, im sorryā€¦
Did i jack your thread?
I thought this thread was a discussion on vans that mysteriously wouldnā€™t startā€¦
That was the problem i was havingā€¦
And i was actually going to find the problem on my van, and solve the problemā€¦
I didnt want to start another thread with the same problem as this one and leave it unfinishedā€¦
So i figured i would just finish this oneā€¦

Does anybody ever come back when they solve their problems?
Or do they pay techs thousands of dollars to throw parts at it?
Or do they sell the vehicle to the next sucker?
Or better yetā€¦just haul it to the scrap yardā€¦
They could have just solved the mystery and are to busy driving, to post their findingsā€¦
Are you a moderator to this site?

The problem with you adding your problem to this 8 year old thread is that your problem may be different than the original posters problem.

And some of the replies will be for ā€œrobgwinā€™sā€ problem from 8 years ago, or ā€œBillneedshelpā€™sā€ problem of 2 years ago, and not related to your problem at all.

Very seldom

Yes to all.

1 Like

Wellā€¦now that i went back and read the original post from eight years ago, my van was having the exact same problemā€¦and that was why i took interest in this postā€¦
Hoping that he still had the van, and i could help him finally get it back on the roadā€¦

Gotta give me credit for not doing it in a volvo post thoā€¦
At least i was playing in the right ball fieldā€¦
I read thru hundreds of threads to find the exact post i was looking forā€¦with the exact same problems as i was havingā€¦
And i simply asked if they had found the problem yet, and this thread just snowballed from thereā€¦
Thank you so much for your inputā€¦
And helping me solve my problemā€¦
And to everybody else that gave me inputā€¦

I canā€™t thank you guys enoughā€¦
Now i have to get my dog, and get in the mystery machine, and go solve some more problemsā€¦

2 Likes

Which problem(s) do you have @Johnny_Dreddz ?

The original OPā€™s problem seems like a no-spark problem, crank position sensor, something like that.

You nailed that one broā€¦
Thank you so much!!

Good for you for sticking w/it & getting your vehicle back to a reliable runner.

1 Like

Van is still starting with no problemsā€¦
First crankshaft position sensor i have ever had go outā€¦