Vacuum leak in a turbo, damaging to drive?

Will do, thanks!

You can also view a video on Youtube that describes your condition to a T… Check it out…

Blackbird

You’ve yet again hit the nail on the head Blackbird.

I’ve had the old girl in the shop since Monday. Mechanic sounded like he knew exactly what problem was and sounded unconcerned when I dropped it off, so guessing it’s probably this oil trap thing.

Only 65k on engine but the range people over at swedespeed have reported this problem at is 60-120k so definitely fits in that range.

Going to make sure they check rest of vacuum system while in there after seeing that frayed hose the author of the video found and seeing as how I felt like I heard a slight hiss while under the hood.

Will keep everyone updated.

I dont know why they incorporated that oil trap thingy… But Volvos engineering usually cannot be messed with…still Ive seen great mfg’s do or install silly items before. So this wouldnt be the first “xtra” part that I met…then again I know what I am doing.

Simply replace said part and motor on

Blackbird

Update:

So the dealer I bought the vehicle from (a place that only sells used, low mileage volvos) had his mechanic look the car over.

They told me that there is nothing wrong and that the vehicle is supposed to have vacuum in the crankcase and that when they ran it with the oil cap off, it began to idle rough.

They compared it to a 2010 S80 T6 that was also on the lot and said it had a similar amount of vacuum when running.

I asked if it was possible that both cars had the same problem and they didn’t think so.

Do I believe these guys or should I take it to another Volvo mechanic?

I should add that they have been extremely accommodating so far and have not protested whatsoever when I want them to look at something (remember since this is MA that they have to fix pretty much anything for 60 days for free.) E.g. I have no reason to distrust them except that the symptoms seem to match almost perfectly with reported oil trap issues.

Ugh…

That didn’t sound like a good ugh…?

Starting to think the dealership guys may have been right about there being no problem.

In the 2008 T6 the oil trap is sitting right on top of the engine (I could replace it myself if I was so inclined).

On certain models (S60) the switch to the new style oil trap didn’t occur until 2011. The oil trap replacement videos and guides, for whatever reason, all took place on S60’s before 2011 or on S80’s, V70’s and XC60’s before 2008. On earlier vehicles, the oil trap was a small box tucked down under the intake manifold and required removal of the fuel rail and manifold to get at (obviously a pretty big repair). Volvo, it seems, realized what a pain in the butt this was for a part that was likely to need replacing and changed the layout.

When I thought it was deep down under the intake manifold I got suspicious that the dealer didn’t even look at it, but now that I know it would be easy enough to replace that I could do it, my suspicion is waning.

See the attached images for the oil trap location in post 2008 / 2011 (S60) oil traps in volvos.

Thats sorta good news…No? I just sent what I thought it couldve been…something to consider if you will. Sounded like it was your exact issue.

Didn’t you say the condition began all of a sudden though? If that is the case proceed. These failures seem so common some guys might think that is the normal op mode…I dunno

Blackbird

You were extremely helpful Blackbird, got me started down the right track.

It literally took me days of internet digging (and digging in the engine compartment of the car) to figure out that my particular vehicle had the new style oil trap. That’s the bad part about owning a relatively uncommon vehicle I guess, not much info available.

I’m starting to wonder whether the oil trap got temporarily “stuck” for lack of a better word. The whining sound went away on the drive to the dealer (of course) and I haven’t been able to reproduce it since. But, it was that exact sound as in the videos and stopped as soon as the oil cap was removed, but now it’s gone.

Either way it makes me think I should replace the oil trap anyway. It’s not a cheap part but it’s also not astronomical.

Thanks to everybody on the forum, especially Blackbird. By far the most non-toxic (which I guess would mean friendly…sorry the internet has jaded me!) forum I’ve ever posted on.

Yes Blackbirds are Non-Toxic…didn’t you know? Happy to help when I can.

Honestly all the people here are Gems…they really care and share and have my respect. We donate our time and knowledge and sometimes stupid stories here for free man…it doesn’t get any better I tell ya!

You will always be welcome here…tho sometimes us “regulars” argue like teenagers…we all know that each is trying to lend a hand so we don’t get to violent with each other… Hahaha

Kudos to ALL the Boys (and a few ladies too) at the Car Talk Forum

Blackbird