Using plastic waste for road paving

…would potentially save oil, get rid of plastic waste, and create more durable paving, according to its inventor:

We make carpet out of some of it over here in the US. I remember reading about mixing in ground up tires into the asphalt mix for repaving highways. Not sure how that one turned out.

A lot of the parks near my house use chopped up tires in new playgrounds instead of mulch chips. With 2 young kids that inherited some of my clumsiness, I’m happy with all of the recycled rubber mats and rubber chips that they use now.

I don’t know if it works, but the patent drawing looks promising

Ground glass has been used as a filler for roads, too. There are a number of roads in Baltimore City with ground glass filler in the asphalt. I’m not sure if that worked out well, either.

I can think of one paving…experiment…that didn’t turn out well.
Several years ago, a few short stretches of road were paved with asphalt that was infused with some type of oil (possibly canola??), because the manufacturer claimed that ice and snow would melt more rapidly on that pavement.

The result–as you might have already guessed–was that traction on those roads became treacherous when it rained. (Who woulda’ thunk? :wink:)

Within short order, that new pavement was machined-off and replaced with conventional asphalt.

Plastic waste has been successfully used. Thermoset plastics can be substituted for other fillers. Thermoplastic polymers can also be used, and are 60% of waste plastics. Thermoplastics would replace asphalt, since it is also a thermoplastic polymer. Even waste shingles can be used. Manufacturers waste is the best additive. Roof tear off is probably the greatest source, but the paper that sticks to the tear off shingles reduces the effectiveness of the paving materials.