Using an Ac Vacuum Pump, Having Issues

I think there’s an abundance of #2 on both sides of this thread.

https://www.google.com/search?q=those+who+can+extrapolate+from+incomplete+data&client=firefox-b-1

You are going to get hurt at some point.

The vacuum pump stores nothing. And just to clarify are you saying this is happening with pump sitting there not hooked up to the gauges, the car, or anything else? Sight glass on a gauge set or what?

Green tint sounds like dye to me but…

I think the OP might be referring to the sight glass on the vacuum pump which indicates oil level in the pump. The Pittsburgh (a.k.a Harbor Fake) pump I have has a sight glass to indicate oil level.

I hope he doesn’t think that the vacuum pump is made for evacuating a system of refrigerant!!

refrigerant is a clear gas at atmospheric pressure.

and every commercial vacuum pump that I have used had a sight glass to check the oil level

the OP indicated to me that #blueredblue had failed to block the pump inlet (i.e., connect the gauge and close the valve) and on both occasions blew air and oil mist out of the oil fill port.

The lack of basic understanding of AC operation and the operation of the vacuum pump and gauge set keeps jumping up at me.

I am an HVAC service technician, so I can explain what the OP is saying. Any vacuum pump, even a good quality one, will spray a mist of air and oil out of the discharge port if the oil level is too high. Also, some low-quality vacuum pumps will spray a huge amount of air and oil if the pump is turned on, and not connected to an empty closed system.

A good quality vaccum pump, like the Robinair one I use at work, would not discharge much of an oil mist, even pumping free air. Of course, even a good vacuum pump such as this would discharge a huge amount of oil and make a big mess if someone was foolish enough to connect it to a pressurized system.

I assume the OP understands the basics of pressure-testing and evacuating a refrigeration system, but if not, he better read up on that before attempting this task.

The OP indicated that the gaseous discharge, whatever it was, came out of the “oil pour cap”, when he turned the pump on, not the discharge port. The fact that this gaseous discharge continued to flow from the oil fill port after he tightened the cap is puzzling. Maybe the o-ring was shot, or not there. That he also sensed a gaseous discharge described as “just air” from the oil fill port on what he described as a “new in box unit” is also puzzling. One might be safe to assume that oil fill cap was screwed on snuggly at the factory before being boxed. Perhaps the OP loosened it or remove it before turning on the pump.

I wonder if the OP is confusing the discharge port and the oil fill port? My pump always has a mist emerge from the discharge port when I first turn it on, which I assume is perfectly normal behavior.

With that much confusion over a vacuum pump God only knows what’s going to happen when cans are tapped, valves are opened, and pressures start becoming an issue.

This freon pouring out of anything makes no sense unless gauges are connected to the system and valves are opened. That’s a no-no even on a system with little pressure in it. And you state it was a “cold rising gas”.

i reiterate. This sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

2 Likes