Used tires?

Someone on Nextdoor posted:

Where can I get some used tires for my car? I had a blowout on the freeway a couple weeks ago. Luckily we got off the road safely. Since then , I’ve been riding on my spare, and my other three tires are showing wires. I’ve googled tire shops that sell used tires but I haven’t had much luck finding any. Preferably a shop that allows you to buy 1 tire at a time and installs them. My baby boy will be coming home soon and I want to make sure my car is safe for him.

I think she’s crazy. I can’t think of a useful response. Can you?

1 Like

Can’t think of a useful response? Or one that isn’t “nice”?

When it comes to the safety of the poster and everyone who drives nearby, blunt honesty is better than “nice”.

4 used tires are better than what is on the car now. Cheap new tires are next best.

3 Likes

Saw a link for tire shack and looked at tires. Xyz brand for $78 each. Michelin defender was $225. Thought maybe they had inside path to cheap Michelins. Nope.

I have seen this (in different forms) many times over the years… And some people are just so close-minded that they can’t see the truth… As my Dad used to say, you can’t argue with stupid… And you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink…

That being said there is not a lot you can do for someone like that other then try to educate them on the dangers of may-pop tires… But then they try to accuse you of just trying to upselling them etc etc…

I have in the past many times as well the company I worked for have helped people out like that, I have given away new tire(s) (brakes sometimes, only safety stuff) and just document the heck out of it so the auditors know that you are not just stealing tires and given them to your neighbor… lol
But it is a case by case thing that you can only go off your gut, if you have been in the business long enough you can judge people and their situation pretty good… No you can’t judge a book by it’s cover but you can read them a little and get a feeling… Yes sometimes you are wrong about them…

The lady is either making a lot of bad choices and wasting money or truly having a hard time, in a hard time in there life… You have to be empathetic and not sympathetic, some people are better at it then others…

She could also go to a local church and ask for help, some are able to help put, some are not…

2 Likes

Yeah, she could be in a tough spot, maybe suggest asking parents for help, it’s that important to get a decent set of tires on the car before baby arrives.

Many years ago, I knew a guy who used to say, “Why are tires so darn expensive? It’s just a hunk of rubber.” I tried explaining the construction of a tire to him, but his eyes just glazed over, so I wound-up saying, “If I give you $25 (obviously this was a long time ago), can you build a tire for me?”. That finally got through to him… I think.

1 Like

There’s nothing fundamentally unsound with installing a set of used tires, provided they are a complete matching set, all in usable condition, meet the car’s specs, and within the age limit. But where to find such a set? That’s the difficulty. If I had that problem I’d probably phone the local auto parts recycler. No argument than purchasing new tires is the best choice.

I had a budget problem a few years ago involving tires, needed 8 tires, 4 new ones for each vehicle. I could afford the tires, but couldn’t also afford the $20 ea mounting/balancing fee. $160. I ended up picking the tires up from a local tire store, mounting and balancing them myself using equipment I purchased from the $160 in savings. (Not suggesting this is a good solution for the person asking the question, or for most folk). Hard work, lifting & persuading heavy objects. Just saying how I handled the situation as an intrepid diy’er.

I have a hard time imagining used tires. Don’t people keep them until they’re worn out?

A friend’s wedding gift from his parents was a new set of tires.

I would have thought the auto recycler would have been the best bet, but not to be biased, but I don’t know if this would be a job for most women. Now I did put new tires on a while back and the old ones still had life in them but the tire shop was just going to send them to the recycler. I suspect it is just too much of a hassle and risk to deal with used tires. Cars get wrecked all the time though with good tires on them.

I just read an article though about a lady referring to her 29 year old son as my baby. So I guess it is possible that it is not an infant coming home from the hospital but may be an adult returning from the service or someplace. Might be able to take care of the tire issue.

1 Like

You would be amazed at the number of people that buy a brand new car/truck and go straight to the tire shop and put on fancy wheels and tires.

Apparently, you would also be surprised at the number of cars that end up in the wrecking yards with good tires on them.

1 Like

Yeah car tires, not bike tires. I don’t know where you would get used bike tires. Maybe goodwill but you’d have to buy the whole bike.

People are encouraged to buy four tires when one tire has a puncture, someone will buy the three good used tires (sometimes the fourth).

Scrap dealers collect tires from tire shops and car dealers. We discard about 50 tires each week, I’ll guess half are patched and resold by used tire dealers.

There are hundreds of used tire dealers in the Southwest: Llantera shops. This one is in Albuquerque:

1 Like

Your car with 4 recent tires is rear ended and totalled. Should the scrapyard burn the tires or sell them?

A 20 year old car suffers engine failure and the owner sells it to the auto recycler. They will part it out, including good tires and wheels.

A guy buys a 2 year old low-mile car and wants to jazz it up with a set of rims and new rubber. Where do the good “take-offs” go?

And so on…

1 Like

There are several tire places around here that sell used tires. They won’t sell a tire that won’t pass inspection, or past a certain age.