Used sports sedan under 30k?

But I am not asking for that…this unsolicited advice is weird. My question was not regarding what I want in a car; it was what cars are out there that have what I want. It is rather simple and plenty of people have provided great advice thus far. There does not seem to be a need to compromise.

You’re experiencing the reality of a public free forum. 50%-80% of the answers may not apply. Just ignore them.

4 Likes

if you don’t want unsolicited advice, a public forum isn’t the best option. Again, I don’t think he was trying to troll you. Volvo has been here longer than me. He’s quite often blunt and to the point, but there’s usually a good reason behind that.

3 Likes

Rav4 is 9.3 seconds 0 to 60, according to the internet, fast enough for me! I have never had the need to test it. 1 one thousand 2 one thousand 3 one thousand, ok you beat me!

I wouldn’t consider anything with a diesel engine to be a sport sedan.

4 Likes

Some of us live in places where there’s a lot of traffic, and commuting through traffic with a manual transmission is … tedious. My Miata is a 6 speed, very easy to shift, light clutch, and my patience in traffic is used up fast. Fortunately I’m retired so I can pick what time I go places. Modern automatics shift faster than most of us could, and they do it all day with little complaint.

About the car shopping - it’s going to be clear what you want after you drive a few samples, used and new.

The GTI is available with a DSG which would be easier in traffic, but could still be entertaining.

Bit OT, but that reminds me of the old joke, “How do you make a small fortune in the airline business? Start with a large fortune.”

I don’t think OP actually said “premium”, it’s just that most sport sedans are from the premium German brands. But if the Impreza has been good other than being slow, then I’d echo the suggestion of a WRX. It can be had with an automatic, but it’s a CVT, which I’m personally not a fan of. The WV/Audi DSG is a much more enjoyable experience if a 3-pedal manual isn’t an option.

By all accounts the IS-F is great (and I’m a sucker for a high-revving naturally-aspirated V8) but I doubt you’ll find one near $30k.

A Lexus IS is a pretty good thought - even if it’s not an F. You can add suspension parts later, and a 350 is a pretty powerful car. Lexus has a good reliability factor and parts are available easily.

1 Like

True, I think I’d be plenty happy with the standard IS. OP probably isn’t looking for one this old, but the first gen (2000-2005 in the U.S.) had the 3.0L I6 from the Supra. I was in high school then and recall a classmate who had one.

You would need to drive a modern direct injection turbocharged diesel. It mjght change your mind. They can be very sporty. Much like a 60s big block V8… tons of torque, wide powerband… quick acceleration and high top speed.

1 Like

You’re talking my language! Throw in a nice interior and the letters C H R Y S L E R on the trunk and I’m sold!

1 Like

Thank you to all the folks that provided pertinent car advice. With your recommendations along with my own research, I have reduced my search down to these models:

'17-19 Audi A4 Quattro
'18-19 Audi A6 Quattro (3.0T)
'16-18 BMW 340i
'18 BMW 440i
'15-16 BMW 550i
'15-18 Lexus GS 350
'14-18 Lexus IS 350

I would love to hear from anyone that has experience with any of these options. Or if you feel strongly that I am missing a better option, feel free to let me know. Again, thanks to everyone with useful advice!

1 Like

The BMW’s do have great handling but you’ll have a less stressed life with a Lexus.

After I posted all the options in my last post, I showed my wife all the options for her feedback. I was basically set on a GS350 based on the notion of enhanced reliability and longevity. My wife was adamantly opposed to a Lexus because her family always had one and she hates them! I kid you not, I don’t think I can go with a Lexus now!

I guess I am going with a BMW now. Not a problem for me, honestly. It will be either a 340 or 550, not 100% yet.

I don’t believe you can go wrong with any of these, Buy the bmw that you prefer to drive, i’m more partial to the 340i/440i only because I’m more used to that size compared to the 5 series.

I am checking out a 340i near me tomorrow morning. Is the 5 series significantly larger-feeling? From what I have read, the 3 series seems to be rather roomy so I am not sure I will even need the extra size bump. But the V8 in the 550…maybe makes up for the difference in handling that one would expect from the smaller 3 series?

Fuel economy.gov shows passenger volume in cubic feet for most vehicles;

The 550 is about 10in longer overall than the 340i, If you find you like the 340i and how it drives and handles you’re still getting a great car. Test drive the 340i and see if it checks the right boxes.

Great resource, thanks for this!