Used or new suggestions

I want to buy my son a car as a gift, He needs to for school and also work, does a lot of driving to and from, needs a reliable car, that is egffeicent.I saw the add for the Build your Car" by Hundai, is that a a good offer today? ( I hope that spelling is correct. a Mom in California

If it is to be a gift, get a new car. Discuss this with your son – no surprises. Let him know your budget and he will suggest several models, or even insist on one particular car that suits him.

The chances are that his desires will exceed your budget. (Everyone’s does.) OK, talk to him about used cars. This will be a team effort.

The website for every car model contains a Build Your Car feature. There is nothing unique about Hyundai’s site. And the prices are always full MSRP. Hyundai is a good car but there are many others to choose from. Careful shopping can reduce the price you pay. Good luck.

Build Your Car usually refers to a custom order for a new car. If you want a new car quickly, buy one off a dealer’s lot. There is a $1000 rebate on the 2007 Elantra now. You should expect to get the car for about $150 below the MSRP. The $1000 rebate is only for 2007 Elantras, not 2008.

Nice mom, buying a reliable car. My experience with this question would be the "build your car " event is
not a bad idea but you must consider your budget as mentioned before when it comes to buying a car, the price can easily go over budget. Sit down and think about what your budget is and go form there.

Mike
http://www.autoprocanada.com

The most reliable cars are often the simplest ones. Start with manufacturers who produce reliable cars; Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, and Hyundai. The entry level cars of these companies have models without complicated accessories, stick shifts, a focus on young buyers. My neighbor had 2 daughters going to college and also holding down jobs. He bought them both 2 door basic Honda Civic coupes. They always got to school and work on time. Reliable and economical models are Honda Fit, Honda Civic, Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Accent, Hyundai Elantra, Mazda 3, Subaru Impreza. All these are popular with young drivers, especially in red. Don’t buy the first car you are offered. As others commenting, there are some real good discount and early January is a slow time, so it is a buyer’s market. Happy shoping.

It jerks my chain when I see that people continue to advocate sending their wealth out of the country, less so with some foreign brands than others. I don’t care much for Hillary but she is starting a discussion about unrestricted purchasing of foreign products being destructive in the long run for our country. There are US brands that are very good now and I suggest that you consider one.

Yes, some foreign brands are made here but the profits go to Japan and Korea and the engineers and designers employed are not US citizens.

In a recent AARP magazine, there is an interesting article about saving huge amounts of money by getting surgical procedures done in India. That is interesting!

As Wha Who? is advocating buying American- but somehow failed to name any actual models, I’d like to point out that I live near a college, and it seems that, like, 90% of college kids here drive Chevrolet Cavaliers.

Ok, maybe 90% is a bit of an exaggeration, but really, there’s a lot of them. Though I don’t know much about them, I figure they must be pretty cheap/reliable/efficient. In that same vein, there’s also the Dodge Neon, and Chevrolet Cobalt. --although I’d like to suggest you stay away from the “sport” version of those cars, as young male drivers tend to like to race and crash them all over the freeway.

“Yes, some foreign brands are made here but the profits go to Japan and Korea and the engineers and designers employed are not US citizens.”

This is way off topic, but from a quality point of view, I would avoid the “foreign” models that are fabricated in the U.S. as well as any domestic brands.

It would help if the OP let us know what price range we are talking about.

Guys, stop turning every enquiry into a whizzin’ contest. First of all, it’s her money, if she wants to buy a Hyundae, or a Honda, or a Toyota, she should be free to unharassed by you. Second of all, your whole thesis is balogna. Toyota and Honda do as much for our manufacturing economy as GM and Ford…and it’s a good thing they do. If you buy a Camry or Accord it’ll be built by U.S. citizens, but if you buy a Ford or GM it’ll probably be built in Canada or Mexico.

Product manufactured here provides jobs, properity to citizens and communities, secondary and tertiary economic properity (employed people buy homes, cars, TVs, washing machines, furniture, etc. etc.) and those assembly operations procure lots of parts and subassemblies from domestic manufacturers.

Hillery, huh? It was her hubby that made China “most favored trading nation”, eliminating the barriers to trade with China and to our companies moving manufacturing operations there, and opened up NAFTA. Has it occurred to you that perhaps Hillery is telling you what you want to hear to get your vote?

So c’mon guys, knock it off. Try respecting other people’s choices. Your attacking people’s choices because the choices aren’t what you’d like them to be jerks my chain. Yup, I used your own term against you.

“Product manufactured here provides jobs, properity to citizens and communities, secondary and tertiary economic properity (employed people buy homes, cars, TVs, washing machines, furniture, etc. etc.) and those assembly operations procure lots of parts and subassemblies from domestic manufacturers.”

Sorry to hijack the OP’s thread, but who cares where the jobs are created? Are U.S. jobs somehow more valuable than other jobs? Do you seriously want to protect “domestic manufacturers” if their products are not competitive, don’t you guys think that’s just a little provincial?

I agree the OP should spend her money where-ever she can get the best value, without all the political BS.

Many years ago, in college I dated a girl whose father was a minister in Michigan. He drove a Chevrolet, had an Argus Camera (made in Ann Arbor) had furnitire made in Grand Rapids, Mich., shoes made by Woverine Shoe Co., appliances made by Whirlpool, of Benton Harbour, etc. He was also in favor of the US exporting stuff to all countries of the world. You probably spot the hypocracy and nonsense in this behavior. I tried to explain to him the Law of Comparative Advantage on which international trade is based. An agriculture professor at a Canadian University developed a strain of peanuts that would grow in Canada. They tasted OK, but cost almost twice as much to grow as those on the Jimmy Carter farm in Georgia. Today, no one in Canada grows peanuts.

Foreing car manufacturers compete around the world, and need cars in each region that meet the market demands. The big trucks presently built in the US by Honda, Toyotam and Nissan are unsalable in most overseas markets, except perhaps Saudi Arabia and other oil countries.

I rest my case.