Used Ford Explorer

Is a 95 Ford Explorer with 196,000 miles in excellent condition worth looking at?

It depends on the price.

The price is $2,600

That’s too high IMHO. At near 200k miles you can bet that a number of things can be found that need to be repaired; suspension components, wheel bearings, etc. if a thorough checkover was performed.
That does not mean it’s a bad vehicle; just that high mileage does wear things out and it takes cash to fix them.
This would be especially true if you cannot do things yourself and have to pay to have it done.

Understand that this is just my personal opinion. You and others may disagree with it. :slight_smile:

I agree that $2600 is too high for a 95 with that mileage. Two years ago I bought a 96 Explorer Sport Trac (2 door) from my wife’s boss for $500 (he practically gave it away). It was in mint condition but had 184K miles on it. It has over 203K miles on it now and doesn’t burn a drop of oil (the 4.0 liter engine). The only thing that’s gone wrong w/it is the AC compressor seized up. I had a used one put in for less than $200 and the AC has worked fine for almost two years now. Good Luck.

I agree that $2600 is too high for a 95 with that mileage. Two years ago I bought a 96 Explorer Sport Trac (2 door) from my wife’s boss for $500 (he practically gave it away). It was in mint condition but had 184K miles on it. It has over 203K miles on it now and doesn’t burn a drop of oil (the 4.0 liter engine). The only thing that’s gone wrong w/it is the AC compressor seized up. I had a used one put in for less than $200 and the AC has worked fine for almost two years now. Good Luck.

If you’re willing to look at a vehicle with that high mileage and that old you should be able to find one for between $500-$1000. I consider this to be the universal base price, I never pay more than $1000 for a vehicle and I have driven cars for a couple years and turned around and sold them for what I’ve paid for them. Basicly, if they still run you can usually unload them for the unviersal bottom price.

There is no such thing as a vehicle with 196k miles in “excellent” condition. Miles are miles, and this vehicle has quite a few. Personally, I do not consider vehicles with that many miles worth purchasing, regardless of the price.

I have nothing against owning and driving a vehicle with that many miles, but I prefer to buy them when the mileage is much lower.

Car is over 10 years. This means about 20,000 miles average driving per year. Too much if you ask me.

Make the vote unanemous (sp?). The mileage is way too high for the price. And way too high to consider thos a reliabel daily driver with reasonable life left in it.

People who put out prices like that are in a dream land called kbb and forgetting to put in parameters like mileage and that its a private sale.

Personally if it sparks your interest I would simply take it for a test drive and then start negotiation about $200 below what you want to pay passing a mechanics check.

My starting bid about $1000.