Used Engine warranty

I believe you are right. The mechanic said that he felt bad that the engine supplier refused the warranty. I will ask LKQ for their warranty and see if the mech did actually do what had to be done to make the warranty valid.
The mechanic said to me that he thought the oil leak could have happened quickly enough to damage the engine between oil level checks. Let’s see if he backs up his words with a fix.
Thank you all.

The LKQ website as referred to by Nevada plainly states 2 things.

1. The engine warranty is 6 months/6kmiles.

2. A number of hoops must be jumped through before the engine installation so as not to void any warranty at all.
    (The odds of those being done are not very high at all.)

Since the mechanic said 1 year warranty this means to me that he’s taken it upon himself to offer the warranty as that is double the LKQ warranty. After the first 6 months LKQ is clean out of this equation.

+1
Additionally, it is important to note that anything that was stated–verbally–by the mechanic is not enforceable.
Only what is stated in writing on the repair invoice can be enforced.

Back to square one . .

you bought a USED engine !

I suspect OP will be left holding the bag

What be OP,? …

That would be you, the Original Poster, the one who started the discussion

I thought he was saying I am OP, old person,well I am, perhaps not much smarter for the time put in.

This may come down to push and shove.

The mechanic will more than likely refuse to back any warranty himself.

The mechanic has left himself open by simply stating 1 year with no exceptions as to cause and miles.

That could be interpreted as “if anything goes wrong I’ll fix it free of charge within the one year time period”.

This would leave you in the position of eating the cost or bringing a suit against him. Neither option is pleasant.

Just my humble opinion, but if this ends up some court I do think you have a winnable case. The list of to-do things mentioned by LKQ were not done by the mechanic so he opens himself up that way a bit also.

1 Like

It would be nice to hear the mechanics side of this.

1 Like

The issue is resolved thusly. LKQ is selling me another motor and giving me a 1 year warranty. The mechanic is doing the work for the original price and will do all of the required extras required by the engine seller. I am paying for all of those extra parts, it is a lot. He is not charging me to do that work.
I am paying for it but everyone else is making it less painful.
Lesson learned,ask for details of warranty before agreeing to the deal.

2 Likes

Just some food for thought.

What if the upcoming LKQ engine is serviced by the mechanic as called for under the terms of the LKQ warranty and that engine turns out to be problematic?

Just because LKQ states that X, Y, and Z must be done prior to installation and it IS done is no guarantee that the engine is any good either.
It only means that a lousy engine has a bunch of new parts on it.