Used catalytic converters

Are they legal to install

It’s illegal to install a used catalytic converter, $20,000 fine if caught doing so. And it’s illegal for an auto recycler to sell used catalytic converters. $20,000 fine for each one sold.

Tester

I suppose that we have to remember that bureaucrats aren’t mechanics; nor, engineers. They are the ones (the bureaucrats) who make the EPA regulations. If a part is serviceable, it’s serviceable, be it a catalytic converter, or an air bag.

The junky will have to know you before he will sell you one…But once you have one in hand, where it came from is hard to prove in court… DA’s don’t get very excited about catalytic converters…

As a matter of fact, they are a high-theft item…Thieves with trick pipe-cutters can cut one off in a few seconds with the car parked by the curb…

I don’t know if we have any regulars here who are lawyers anymore, but I don’t think this is the place to seek legal advice.

If you want to know if it is generally a good idea, I don’t think so. If you have a “check engine” light on because of a bad catalytic converter, a used one probably won’t make it go away like a new one will.

Why are you asking this question? Are you considering buying a used catalytic converter?

Besides that, why would a recycler sell a used catalytic converter for $100.00 and face a possible $20,000 fine when they get $150.00-$200.00 for each converter when it’s recycled for it’s precious metals? That’s why the recyclers here don’t sell used converters.

Tester