Universal Lubricants

I need to set up an oil change in a remote location. I am using Brakes Plus based on recommendations.
They use “Universal Lubricants” oil. Anyone know anything about this brand? I never heard of it before.

I don’t see the need for concern. They are not going to use something that will cause them problems. If it is a problem just ask if they will use the brand you want at a higher cost of course.

You can get datsheets for their engine oil here:

http://www.universallubes.com/products/product_data_sheets

If there is a Brakes Plus there, the location can’t be that remote…

“Universal Lubricants” is just a private brand they buy in bulk at a discount over a “name brand” product…Your Lexus might take a cartridge type oil filter…I would insist on a genuine Toyota filter or bring your own…Some of the aftermarket filters out there are junk. If you car requires 0W-20 full synthetic oil, ask them to show you the container(s) the oil came from…Not all places stock that grade. Toyota is fussy about it…

It’s best not to switch lubes. You can run into additive incompatibility problems. Choose a brand which meets the manufacture’s specs, and keep using it. Suggest to buy 6 quarts of your preferred brand, a filter, and put it in the trunk.

Universal Lubricants is a company that mixes or makes oil for MANY different brands to those brand’s specifications. One that I am aware of locally is Pennzoil. You didn’t think they made all of it in Pennsylvania did you?

They also have an extensive line of “re-refined” motor oils, made from oil that has been used before. It meets all the necessary SAE requirements. Think about it. What’s a better starting stock? Nasty Crude dino bits, or oil that has been refined before from crude dino bits? Makes sense to me. Like they say, oil doesn’t wear out, the additives wear out.

http://www.universallubes.com/products/eco_ultra/overview

I would not worry about it. When is the last time you ran into additive incompatibility?

I’ve always used the oil same brand myself. Additive compatibility isn’t something I’d lose much sleep over if I had to switch brands in an emergency, but here’s what one experienced auto repair expert says:

Most major brand oils are good, if they meet the specifications of your engine. Different brands often use different additive packages and these may not be compatible. For instance if you use Mobil do not switch to Valvoline or vice versa.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/171

I think he’s wrong. Anyone care to comment?

While I don’t have any test results to prove this as malarkey I can say " Nonsense".

George,

If the oil container has the API/SAE symbols, it means the American Petroleum Institute and the Society of Automotive Engineers got together and agreed on the weight and the additives that should be in a certain oil.

If there were differences between oil brands, the military wouldn’t buy it.

And I can’t think of any major petroleum company that would produce an oil that the DOD wouldn’t purchase because of it’s additives.

Tester

The ES300 has always taken a spin-on filter

And I believe it calls for 5w30 conventional, service every 5K

it’s basically just a optioned out Camry

I don’t why George even posted that link ( it is a business not researcher ). If he has been using the same oil brand in his old Corolla ( which I doubt ) does he not realize that the additive formula has changed several times there by proving that having different additives is not a problem.