Unique 1960's Cars

The oldest car I ever remember my family owning was a 1973 Ford Mustang, a 1978 Chevy Van, and a 1978 Datsun 280Z. The oldest car I personally ever owned was a 1978 Dodge Power wagon that my stepdad gave to me and it was covered in rust, in didn’t start half the time, and there was an issue with the crank shaft. I sold it to junk yard for $150 bucks. I was pretty angry when he gave me that truck because I needed something that ran, not a pile of junk!

One practice I remember from the 1960’s and even well into the 1970’s was that some people (usually teenagers) would jack up the rear ends of their cars sky high and then run exhaust pipes out of both sides of the cars (just in front of the rear wheels). I think they were trying to look like they were driving dragsters. It looked silly to begin with but was even sillier on a 4 door car and looked even more ridiculous when done to a station wagon. I saw this done to compact cars, full sized cars and everything in between. Even full sized vans were sometimes jacked up this way. I remember hearing how dangerous it was when these cars got rear-ended, as the gas tanks were exposed and fires/explosions sometimes resulted.

When I was in highschool during the mid to late 90’s, hydraulics, windowtinting, huge subwoofers, and purple lights installed underneath cars were all the rage. People used to love putting hydraulics on late early eighties era General Motors cars such as the chevy impalas…And then when fast and furious came out, everyone wanted suped-up mitsubishi eclipses, acuras, and hondas with the nitris, spoilers, and funky paint jobs. Some of my friends were after me to get my car all suped up. At the time I owned a 1992 Plymouth Laser which was almost identical to the Mitsubishi Eclipse and Eagle Talon. I never had any modifications done to it because as far as I was concerned, that car got me from point a to point b. It had a lot of spunk and when I traded it in in 2002, it had close to 199k miles on it. The only work it needed when I got rid of it was a new paint job but had no dents or any signs of corrosion on the body and the engine needed a little work but otherwise, the car ran great. I sometimes miss that car.

Steve63, I fully remember those days when people used to jack up the rear of a car, and I even did that to my first car (1971 Buick Skylark coupe that I bought b4 my senior year of high school) and my second car (1968 Dodge Dart GTS coupe that I bought when I was 21). If your username indicates the year you were born, as mine does, then you’re almost my age; if so, then remember that the common practice of raising the rear end of a car was mostly for the purpose of fitting big fat tires under the back end. Cars of the 1960’s and 1970’s had considerably smaller rear fender openings than today’s cars, which have fully open rear fenders that show the full diameter of the wheels and tires, plus a couple inches to spare. On the older cars, the rear wheels/tires were partially hidden by the car’s sheetmetal, which was fine if you kept narrow stock tires on it; putting wider wheels/tires on the back meant lifting the rear suspension with air shocks, air bags, and/or modified rear springs, so that the needed clearance could be achieved. I, like a lot of folks, thought it was a really cool look for a sporty 2-door coupe, but not so much for full-size sedans or wagons. My '71 Skylark, which had a 350 V8, 4-bbl. carb, and dual exhaust (full length), was given a custom suspension lift by a local welder, in addition to a pair of air shocks, to accomodate the massive N-50/15" tires and 10"x15" rims I had installed on the rear; had to have it done up like that, otherwise the tires would have rubbed the fenders. My '68 Dart GTS, which was a smaller car with smaller fenders, had air shocks and hi-lift leaf springs, with G-60/14" tires on a set of old Cragar mag wheels; I had to change rear tires every couple months due to “excessive wear” (I had a 440-C.I. Police engine literally stuffed under the hood). :slight_smile: Anyway, those were fun days.

In 1961, the Ford Styleside pickups integrated the bed and cab as opposed to the bed being separate. There were some problems with this arrangement because overloading the truck caused problems with the doors closing. The fender side trucks had the separate bed and cab. This combined bed and cab was dropped rather quickly. Ford did come out with another pickup–the Econoline in 1961 that was a modification of the Econoline van. Also, in 1960 or 1961, a Ford Falcon Ranchero pickup truck was introduced.
Another feature that American Motors introduced in the 1960s was the optional E-Stick transmission. I think it allowed shifting and the clutch was operated automatically. Also, there was the Twin-Stick floor shift offered as an option on some of the Ramblers. One stick was for the three speed transmission and the other stick controlled the Borg Warner overdrive.

Yes, Drifter, you’ve figured out my age! As you mentioned, cars couldn’t accommodate larger tires without being raised, but I remember there were some cars that were raised way above and beyond what the larger tires required so that the extreme angle of the car had to really negatively affect handling. The effect of a small lift/larger tires on a sporty coupe was one thing, but these other cases defied logic. By the way, that Dart with the 440 police engine must have been quite the car. 2 of my friends had Darts back then, a GT and a Swinger, that had boring (but reliable) Slant Sixes. I drove a boring 4 door 1973 Buick Century (350 2 barrel) that my parents had purchased after selling their 1966 Mustang they’d owned since new.