Understanding Tire Ratings

Just an FYI:

OE tires are unique little beasties. Each is designed to the vehicle manufacturer’s specs and none of those specs are the same. As a result, you can’t make a blanket statement about them. For example, the Michelin Energy Savers that come on a Chevy Sonic are different than the Michelin Energy Savers that come on a Chevy Cruze (assuming both vehicles came on Michelin Energy Savers!) and I’m not just talking size. The specs are different, so the tires are different.

I have found that MANY OE tires from Japanese vehicle manufacturers have issues with traction. I suspect that is because they test those tires in Japan - and the testing surface is typical of what they make roads out of there and that is different than what is commonly used in the US. (Yes, different road surfaces give different traction levels and some tires don’t work well on some road surfaces.)

@CapriRacer Ah, good info to learn. Thank you, sir. :slight_smile: Between knowing what’s going on and paying attention to the difference in how I apply the accelerator now the torque converter is behaving better after the software update, I have eliminated most, although not all, of the dry pavement traction issues. Wet paving is another matter. Especially if needing to hard brake on wet road life gets rather . . . exciting . . . for a few seconds while the ABS kicks in and the car plays slip and slide. When I can I will replace all four tires but first I have to pay for the house repairs. The tread on all four Is still In good shape and not much worn. And at least two of the repaired tires are not leaking. The third may have a very slow leak of a couple pounds per week. I am closely monitoring that. If need be I will replace all four sooner rather thsn later. Happy, safe motoring everyone.

I think I would wait to get the new tires until all the house repairs are done and the current set of “nail magnets” on the car have gathered all remaining nails. Hate to puncture a new tire, especially in the sidewall of a new tire.

@keith. Yes sir, I absolutely agree. That is my preference. If it turns out that third, most recently “nailed” tire is leaking and not just affected more by temperature fluctuations than the other tires, I can always go back and ask the dealer who fixed it to lick their calf over. Hopefully the rest of the work on the house will be completed within a reasonable number of weeks.

Agree with that. When we had the roof done, they ran a magnet around to pick up all the nails. In addition I ran the magnet around and picked some more up. I thought I had everything but managed to fine a shingle nail in the grass a year later.

Oh, those verdammt nails breed illicitly with evil intent to assault innocent car tires. :slight_smile: