Uncomfortable car seats in new subaru outback

Before making an offer, rent the same make/model for a week. Give it a good test drive of 500-1000 miles. Then you’ll have the information you need to decide if you want to go ahead with the offer. Cheap buyer’s insurance.

Last van we purchased, some seats are really bad, then drove a toyota, ended up with a Kia, not for price but for comfort, It was a lease, 3 years up in sept, will look at toyota again, may even do the 2 year lease on an older model, $140 per month was attractive, but was uncomfortable and did not want to deal with car dealers in 2 years vs 3, may rethink this time.

On my car the lumbar support is electrically operated

I can certainly imagine a defective lumbar support making your time in the car miserable, especially if it’s stuck in a position that is hurting your back

Everybody’s bad back is different, and not everybody with a bad bad actually needs or likes lumbar supports

I’ve got scoliosis, but my back is bad in such a way that I don’t use my car’s lumbar support. It’s in the fully flat position, as if I was driving a car without a lumbar support

The Ford Fusions we looked at last year had seats that were very uncomfortable for my bad back, no matter how I tried adjusting them. And these were high line models with power seats and lumbar supports. Otherwise, I really liked the cars. Very good lookin, in my opinion

Kurt

Yes, but for only about 4-5 miles. I like the suggestion from someone to rent the car first for a few days. Too late.

Chris

Usually 3 days is the limit to void a new vehicle purchase so that means you are going to take a big loss. If the dealer does not give you satisfaction you will have to look in your manual and contact corporate. When you do leave the part about the bread loaf out or they will not take you serious.

1 Like

I had a 2007 Subaru Outback. Loved the car and loved the seats. Bought a 2017 Outback last February. I need the high clearance of the Subaru for our roads. Test drove extensively and drove several trips to and from a location 90 Miles from home. All good. Then, 4 months after purchase, I took a 9 hour road trip. Within 3 hours, my legs were going numb and aching, my butt had a cramp, and I felt like the seat was cutting into my thigh. Adjusted the seat multiple times to no avail. Now every time I drive the car, it’s uncomfortable and I have the same issue even on shorter trips. My husband is tall with very long legs and is ok when he tilts the seat so the front is way higher than rear. However, my daughter and son in law have already decided that when the new 3 seater Outback comes out, if the seats are not better than these, it will be a deal breaker for them. They both hate the Subaru 2017 Outback seats, but love the other features of the car. I’ve put over 20,000 Miles on the car in a year…we live in a state with wide open country and travel frequently. I’m ordering a seat cushion that is supposed to be great for the issue. Will report back.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/24291_9000.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg73kBRDVARIsAF-kEH9XUdfuqJJSYnGMH8p7YiK3_qmFaYn6M16okAIBOP4w_N4uckKwhDwaAqx9EALw_wcBIMG_0078 I bought an inflatable lumbar support for my Outback’s passenger seat. I installed it behind the original plastic piece with zip ties. I bent the two vertical rods slightly towards the back since we felt that the Oem part pushed forward too much. The bladder has up to about two inches of inflation possible, and is infinitely ajustible from flat to there. Bladder appears to be of good quality, and installed easily with just a pair of needle nose pliers and lineman’s pliers for bending the rods. My wife is happy.

Btw, didn’t have to remove seat. Just pushed it all the way forward to get room to work.
The inflation ball routes easily towards the front of the seat and we chose to put it on the left side so it’s out of the way. The seat back closes up with two zippers and a bottom rail and channel closure. Whole job took under half an hour.