Subaru Legacy Seating Comfort

We purchased a 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Limited this week. Apparently, our test drive was not long enough… although the car drives wonderfully - almost as though it is floating through air-the car is so uncomfortable that I can barely drive it. I am of average size; however, to me the seats are small and very hard, leg room is limited all resulting in back/neck discomfort. Anyone with this vehicle have any suggestions for improving the comfort level. Despite the great driving, wish I could return it.

One man’s meat is another man’s poison, as the old saying goes. What is comfortable to one person is downright uncomfortable to someone else, and the only logical solution is to take an EXTENDED test drive with any new car that you are contemplating.

I can tell you that I cannot drive my friend’s '01 Accord for more than an hour without getting a really bad backache. However, I can drive my '02 Outback VDC for 7 or 8 hours with no discomfort. It all depends on one’s own anatomy vs the design of the seats in the car.

I have no practical suggestions for your present situation, but I am confident that you will demand a much longer test drive on your next new car.

In some States, you can return your car…Otherwise, a lot can be done to a car seat to make it comfortable; though I can’t speake for the leg room. If you aren’t the driver all of the time it may not be cost effective…maybe a trade in for the Tribeca. Some bodies, mine included, just go for the more “upright” seating a taller vehicle allows. The semi reclining position (tough on the neck) on the Subie sedan, which we had, was not as comfortable on longer trips as our taller cars. Subie sedans have not caught up with Accord/Camry more upright seating options in their newer models. Of the three though, I agree, the Subie is the most secure road car in average conditions.

It’s interesting that you would post this now. Last night I took some friends to the airport in their '03 Legacy. The drive home was miserable. I liked the overall layout of the car, but I could not get the correct angle where the seat back meets the seat, and my left leg and lower back were killing me at the end of the 80 mile trip.

For what it’s worth, I’m 23, 5’ 11", and a little chunky, but not obese and certainly mobile. I rode up in the back seat, which was pretty comfy, no problem there, but if I had to drive that car very far, I think there would be lots of breaks to stretch my legs.

You can return the car but you can also expect to take a financial hit on it.
I’ve owned 3 Subarus and the seats were hard and uncomfortable in all of them. I eventually removed the seats in the last one I owned and installed a pair of bucket seats out of Chevrolet. Much more plush and comfortable.

Since this is a new '08 swapping the seats is probably not an option so you might consider checking with an auto upholstery shop about making a pair of matching padded cushions with extra padded lumbar supports and bolsters.
My cousin had this done on an old Audi he had. The cost could be several hundred dollars or more but it may be cheaper than the financial wallop of a returned vehicle.

Google “auto seat cushions”. You will find a number of alternatives; some may be available from store fronts near you. My MIL has lower back pain and uses a Tush-Cush.

How much have you experimented with the power seat? Try raising, lowering, adjusting tilt, and seat back angle. Just keep at it until you find a position that suits you. I happen to like high, tilted back so that my legs are raised and my arms are almost fully extended.

We noticed the same thing with our '03 Outback, but considered it a mild irritation. We tried everything with the controls, but settled on cushions - works fine for us.

Friend of mine had a older Sub (2004 I think)…and had the same problem. He bought NEW seats and had them upholstered. The upholsterer was able to get OEM material, so when finished they looked like they came from the dealer.

If you had opted for the VDC or the L.L. Bean model, you probably would have found that the seats are really comfortable. But, as I said before, one man’s meat is another man’s poison.

I am very comfortable in my '02 Outback VDC for a day-long drive, but I am in agony after a little more than an hour in my friend’s '01 Accord. Also, one of the reasons why I got rid of my '92 Accord was that I couldn’t drive for an extended period of time without my right leg going numb. The only solution is to take an EXTENDED test drive when buying a car so that one can see how that particular car meshes with one’s anatomy.