Unable to post comment to Car Talk blog

For some reason it’s no longer possible to post comments to Car Talk blog posts under our Car Talk forums ID. At least not to Jim M’s blog. It appears the only way is using a Facebook account. Is it possible to return that functionality to the blogs?

What is Jim M’s blog?
CSA

Yeah never go there. Not on Facebook yet, so who knows? I get in enough trouble here.

Click on CarTalk . com at the upper left of this page, you’ll see a blog by Jim M “If you take away my CD player, give me something better”

I just read it and you cannot comment without a Facebook log in. Since I don’t have or want to use Facebook I can’t comment that I wish I could buy a car without paying for touchscreens, connectivity to MP3 players, telephones or anything else they connect to. As a matter of fact, I would like cars to make it impossible to use a cell phone on a car and you should no be able to program anything on a touch screen while the car is moving.

2 Likes

Hi @George_San_Jose1, this came up in a thread about six months ago. Yes, the überlackeys looked at the blog commenting platforms and have opted to require a Facebook login to comment on the blog posts.

@cdaquila , you might want to pass the message to them that NPR listeners are likely to be well aware of Facebook’s transgressions, such as unethically conducting secret psychology experiments on their users, and are therefore perhaps less likely to be Facebook users. They might get more blog comments if we didn’t have to be involved with 3rd party companies in order to participate.

1 Like

Duly noted, and thank you.

I was on Facebook a few years ago, in order to locate some old friends from my undergraduate days. Once I accomplished that task, I ceased to be active on FB, and last year I deleted my FB account after the negatives began to clearly outweigh the positives.

IMHO, you can continue your life quite nicely without Facebook.
:thinking:

1 Like

Sorry, but if it’s ever required to be a facebook enrollee in order to post here, I’m out. I’ve never been on it and never will be. I don’t go in for that type of thing. :wink:

Hint: It would be a great way to get rid of me. :slight_smile:
CSA

1 Like

“We are Facebook. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.”

CSA :scream_cat:

There’s been no discussion of that, @common_sense_answer - but that would make two of us ‘cause I’m not on it, either.

3 Likes

I tried commenting Thursday and had no problems. There is a box you can check which forwards your comment to face book. I have never used it as I never post anything to FB. You may need to enter your FB log in to use this option. Perhaps in George’s case the box was checked and he did not notice.

You were able to post a comment to a Car Talk blog without Facebook? Did you try commenting on one of Jim M’s blog @sgtrock21? I tried it again today, on that blog titled “Tomorrow’s Tech”, and I couldn’t figure out a way to make a post stick. I see that box you mention “also post on Facebook” but I didn’t check it. What I did, I typed my comment then the “Login to Post” blue box and I get a Facebook login request. Perhaps if you are a member of Facebook and already logged in to Facebook at the same time then the blog comments work seamlessly, but in my case neither applies. I don’t see any way to post a comment on that blog without first logging in to Facebook. Maybe there is, but it has escaped me so far.

I get email notifications when friends and family post on facebook. If I choose to click on the email it automatically takes me to the facebook post. In the past if I went straight to facebook.com I had to log in. I tried that and now I am automatically logged in. I don’t like that.

Ok, that must be why you were able to post a blog comment @sgtrock21; you were already logged on to facebook, although you didn’t realize it at the time. Makes sense. It remains the case that only logged in members of facebook are able to post comments to Car Talk blogs. I think that’s consistent w/what Carolyn said above.

My Theory : The Bloggers all have Face Book and other social media outlets. By requiring Face Book that gives them control if they have responses that are out of line and need to be blocked. I could be wrong, I was wrong once last year.

Yeah you were thought you wrong once last year, but it turned out you were right. I guess I am a conspiracy theorist, but Like Iphone said, we don’t requre a fingrprint reader, but if they want to provide us that information… Then the former head of the FBI keeps his screen cam covered with tape? Sure I could be accused of tin hat conspiracy theories, but I am not in bad company.
Too bad Comey is gone, but I liked his quote,
The head of the FBI on Wednesday defended putting a piece of tape over his personal laptop’s webcam, claiming the security step was a common sense one that most should take.

“There’s some sensible things you should be doing, and that’s one of them,” Director James Comey said during a conference at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.