Two-in-one engine

There have been a number of twin engines customs built over the years, with both engines operating at the same time.

But for the small time the benefit would be available with a ‘booster’ engine, I can’t imagine it being worth it, $ wise. Possible? Sure. Practical (cheaper than the alternatives of a turbo or battery hybrid)? Nope.

If and when valves are controlled with with electro magnetic systems it will be possible to shut down cylinders and eliminate the disabled cylinders drag on the engine due to vacuum and compression. Or so it seems.

And apparently my memory of the Wright engine had faded badly or I misunderstood the explanation. My understanding had been that the electric coils heated the pre-combustion chambers where the fuel-air mixture self ignited.

The engines with variable cylinder count already shut down the valves, so there’s no intake/exhaust losses for them.

@keith wrote: " The only thing operated by a belt will be the generator"

The generator can be made in “pancake” form and driven directly by the crankshaft, like the drive motor in the Honda hybrids.

Hmmm…

I wonder if an electric torque converter is feasible?
Doesn’t need to involve batteries because there’s no energy storage.

@shadowfax, there was a ‘85 CRX with two stock engines & auto trans’ run simultaneously.

And then there was this one…
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tommy+ivo+four+engine+showboat+photos&qpvt=tommy+ivo+four+engine+showboat+photos&FORM=IGRE

i think because of the complexity and cost this will never be practical. everything would have to be made really well or repair problems would be a nightmare. for example what if this electric clutch needed to be changed or had issues for some reason you’d be rebuilding the whole motor if not at least the bottom end. i guess my point is why not just make the engines were using more efficient this is real possible with diesel, direct injection, variable valve timing, ect. the vw diesel jetta gets 45-55mpg on diesel and it a regular sized car not some turd and there supposedly cars that can achieve over 200mpg if you you believe that.

“My understanding had been that the electric coils heated the pre-combustion chambers where the fuel-air mixture self ignited.”

Nope. No electric coils (other than in the magneto). Basically conventional (if oddly executed) spark ignition.

A lot of antique engines used the arc between two separating mechanical points inside the cylinder to ignite the fuel. An induction coil in series with the points helped make the arc stronger.