Tuning/Upgrades for an Old Sorento?

Hi! This is my first post on this forum - it’s great to be here!

So I own a 2005 Kia Sorento EX with a standard 3.5L V6 engine, and as I’m relatively new to tuning and automotive upgrades, I was wondering if anybody has initial suggestions for squeezing out some extra performance, improving handling, or even just better cosmetics. In its current state, the car works fine - but Idk if it could be better. This might be a naive question, as some research revealed that these aren’t exactly popular cars to mess around with, but I’m just curious.

Thanks in advance!

There are going to be so few performance items for an old Kia Sorento it is not really worth the trouble . Your money will be better spent on suspension and tires . But even at that the handling will not improve much.

A Kia specific Forum might have someone who did something like this .

Edit: It is your money but I would not fall for those silly plug in things that are all over the web that are supposed to give more horsepower and fuel mileage . Also I consider the cold intake air contraptions to be a waste of money also.

4 Likes

I would be sure you are current on maintenance and repairs first. I think the timing belt is due every 60k, and it will kill the engine if it breaks. If everything is good, it’s really up to you. A modern head unit with Carplay/Android integration and a backup camera would be a nice upgrade.

1 Like

Engine-just stay on top of maintenance
Suspension- I bet the shocks and struts are pretty worn, putting on a set of quality parts could improve handling
Tires-what do you have on it now? They make a big difference.

3 Likes

I’ve got Dextero DHT2’s up front(replaced by walmart a while back), and some older Firestone Destination’s in the back which might be due for replacement soon. They’re holding up rn, though.

Performance wise I am one of the 1st ones to say go for it and try to help you with upgrades, but for any good performance upgrade you need a good foundation and sorry to say your Kia just doesn’t have good bones for a performance upgrade…
Like said get maintenance up to date 1st if not already…

If you are determined to blow your money on upgrades then I would probably start with a killer sound system catered to your style of music…
Then plus size wheels/tires…
Then depending on tire to fender gap I might drop it couple inches (mild lowering kit) so you don’t totally kill the ride…

But mainly I would be saving up all that money burning a hole in your pocket and buy a Mustang GT early or late 5.0L and have some real fun… Or an old classic from one of the big 3 if you are mechanically inclined and have tools…

2 Likes

I would not even concider that tire combination safe for daily driving let alone wanting more power .
I find it hard to believe that Walmart would put the new tires on the front . Also those DHT2 tires are more for delivery trucks than a passenger vehicle.

1 Like

Dang, it’s that bad? Since they did the swap I haven’t had any noticable problems with the combo, but I’m not exactly tire-savvy either. I’ve been having it maintained at Murphy’s Automotive, and the last time they checked everything(in March, I believe), they didn’t find any problems.

H&R makes a lowering kit for around $350 that would lower it 1.25" in the front and 1.4" in the rear, you could get some wheels that you prefer along with new tires, There’s not much more available for this. Might look into an updated/upgraded audio head unit with better speakers if desired. Crutchfield would show you what fit’s and is available. Offers installation hits and tech support if needed for the novice installer.

1 Like

Save your money kid.

The people that “care” don’t matter in the long run. Take it from an older guy who’s been down this road. Either save the money, or spend it on regular maintenance to keep the car running and in good shape.

4 Likes

Tires a wheels are the best upgrades for the dollars spent for appearance and handling.

Performance upgrades like cold air kits, exhaust or tuners are pretty much a waste of time on an 18 year old vehicle. They won’t provide much of a boost, if any at all. Proper maintenance is the best thing to do.

3 Likes

There’s an old saying about performance- “Speed costs money. How fast can you afford to go?”

The money it would take to upgrade the performance on your '05 would be better spent buying an actual performance vehicle

1 Like

+1, on all counts.
In addition to proper maintenance allowing the OP to get a few more years of use from his now-18 year old vehicle, he should consider the likelihood that its longevity would be shortened by the kind of “enthusiastic” driving that would result from a boost in power.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys.

I might start looking into some shocks/struts, a sound system, and some wheels. Now this isn’t to say I’m looking to blow my hard-earned cash on senseless upgrades to a low-end suv or anything - in fact, these may not come to fruition for a long time. I just wanted to get some second opinions to learn a little more about my car, and to see some general options for what a possible upgrade path might look like, if any.

In any case, I appreciate your help!

3 Likes

Sounds good. Tirerack is a good place to check out tire wheel options that will fit your Sorento.

Another vote for replacing the worn shocks/struts and other suspension components, and buying a new set of quality tires. And of course, stay on top of the maintenance (timing belt, fluid changes, etc.) and don’t forget the transmission…change the transmission fluid and filter too, at least every 90,000 to 100,000 miles.

Suggest to surf over to Summit Racing’s website, see what they offer-up for your car. Concur w/above, stay away from any modification to the engine air intake system, this mod can create difficult to diagnose problems you don’t want to have. Suggest to limit changes to wheels, tires, suspension, & exhaust systems (for improved exhaust sound). If you want to go whole hog on performance improvements, buy another car, a performance car like Mustang, Camaro, WRX, etc.

1 Like

As far as performance upgrades are concerned, depending upon where you live you may need to consider what you are and are not permitted to modify legally due to smog regulations.

2 Likes