Tune-up on a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country

How often should you get a tune up?

Cars don’t get “tune-ups” anymore. Follow the maintenance schedule in your owner’s manual.

first there are no points, condenser, distributor cap or rotor
there are spark plugs, coils? and ignition wires.
i think that spark plugs call for replacement at 30,000 miles. also check air intake filter, cabin filter, fuel filter [ if external ] and probably flush the brake fluid and coolant. it is also a good time for a rotation and brake inspection.

all of this info will be a your maintenance section of your operators manual

Platinum or Iridium plugs are good for close to 100,000 miles. Ususally your plug wires degrade before the plugs are worn out.

Your manual will call for fluid and filter changes every so many miles or months. Those are the most important to watch, especially air filter changes.

Then there are timing belt chnges, if your car has one. This is crucial to the survval and health of the engine.

As mentioned, there is no such thing as a “tuneup” anymore.

Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate the info.

…and if you tell an unscrupulous mechanic that you want “a tune up”, this will mark you as a “Rube” ripe for the fleecing.

Because there is no longer any standard definition for a tuneup, a mechanic can include as much or as little as he sees fit when you use a non-specific term such as “tuneup”. As Goldwing suggested, open your Owner’s Manual, and have the major service for the interval closest to your odometer mileage performed.

Major services vary from make to make, but typically they include changing all fluids, all filters, and may include changing the spark plugs. Let the maintenance schedule written by the Chrysler folks be your guide to what is needed, and when it is needed.

The only area where I suggest that you forge your own path is with the transmission.
Many (most?) manufacturers no longer list a transmission fluid change in their maintenance schedule, and this is a major oversight. You need to change your trans fluid (and filter, if so equipped) every 3 yrs/30k miles if you want to avoid transmission failure anytime after 90k miles.