Trunk Volume

I consider buying a new sedan and trunk volume is a criteria for me. Where can I find trunk volume for the following cars:
Cruze, Dart, Elantra, Mazda3
Thank you!

You can find that info here:
http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/engines.aspx?c=0&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t115967&v=t115403&v=t115775&v=m15202

Oddly, it’s listed under the ‘engines and performance’ tab.

Consumer Reports New Car Buying Guide has all the dimensions, including USABLE trunk space. The manufacturer’s brochure has the volume occupied by marbles if the trunk was full of them, not as useful a guide.

In addition to the basic cubic feet of space is the layout itself. Is the floor flat? Do the back seats fold down? Does the trunk opening restrict access? I’ve got a G6 that because the floor is flat and the seats fold down, I can carry quite a bit of stuff. I’ve also got an Acura with a lot bigger trunk, but the floor is not flat and really limits the cargo it can hold despite its cubit feet. Looking at them is about the only way to tell.

If there’s some specific reason, such as the need to put a golf bag in, you can always bring it with you when you go car shopping and try it as a psrt of the test drives.

Cruze: 15 cu ft
Dart: 13.1 cu ft
Elantra: 14.8 cu ft
Mazda3: 11.8 cu ft

I agree with @bing and @Docnick
Volume is a relative measure, actual usable space can be quite different. Volume may be a useful figure alone if you are transporting loose ping pong balls. Otherwise, be sure and check out the other aspects outlined by Bing.

If it’s a big deal, would you consider a hatchback instead?

If you are worried about trunk space, buy a hatchback. My wife’s Mazda3 hatchback can hold two full size bikes with the hatch closed.

Is there any disadvantage regarding hatchback? They are a bit expensive but provide better storage. Why would someone prefers not to buy a hatchback?

@mozkaynak. There are no real disadvantages to a hatchback, but many advantages. In my wife’s case, if she had a regular sedan she would need an expensive and difficult to use roof rack to carry bikes, or install a rear hitch with a slide in carrier for $600. That’s more than the price differential for a hatchback. It will also carry large objects like a TV, and I’ve seen people carry freezers and dishwashers in them.

In other words, in about 3 years you will save enough in delivery charges to pay for the difference.

The only people I’ve met so far who don’t like hatchbacks don’t lile the looks; they still buy cars by how they look.

There is another advantage to a hatchback. They are shorter, making them easier to back-up and not accidentally back into something.

You actually get more car for your money if you can get last year’s coupe or sedan for same price as this year’s hatchback. You get more cargo room without folding down the back seats. When you fold down your back seats in a hatchback you get more vertical clearance for your cargo. When you fold down your back seats in a coupe or sedan, you get more horizontal clearance and more total cargo room (in terms of area, cubic feet).

The only legitimate disadvantages with hatches are other people can see your stuff if you are lax about using cargo cover. You also can’t hide stuff with a valet key. Having said that, I’ll never go back to sedans.

We’ve always had a hatchback of some type. Very versatile. The Honda Fit is a great example, the Mazda 3 another.

Reminded me of just one thing to consider with a hatch back, the window and heat. Way back during Army summer camp in Texas, we rented a Gremlin to drive to Austin with. I had a Samsonite suitcase in the back and it got so hot the sides were totally rippled and ruined the suitcase. Don’t know how hot it got back there but if you live in a warm state, might be something to consider.

@Bing Your suitcases probably sat in the sun. The Gremlin was a barebones car with no “trunk” cover. All modern hatchbacks have this removeable cover which makes it a normal trunk with the seats up. The main reason for this is security to deter thieves.

Tody’s A/C systems are pretty powerful and you can blow cold air all over the vehicle’s interior.