Trunk of Toyota Prius

The trunk on my 2010 Toyota Prius won’t open with key

Help

Easy fix for a good independent mechanic or an independent body shop.

If you think the lock itself is frozen, you can get some lock de-icer and give it a shot.

Worst case, and if squirting deicer ir silicone lube into the hole, and if the Prius has an actual trunk rather than a hatch, it’ll be required to have a release inside the trunk. You might be able to access that by removing the rear seat back. From there you can remove the mechanism and do what you need to to fix it.

It’s a hatch.

Thanks. I confess to being almost totally unfamiliar with Priuses.

Is there a hatch release in the cabin?

Does it open in any other way? We need to sort out if the issue is with the lock cylinder part or the latch part.

Have you tried pushing in on the hatch while trying to open it? If the latch is sticking, that might take enough pressure off the latch to allow it to move. If that does the trick, then you need to lubricate the latch, maybe with white lithium grease spray or silicone spray. You’d also want to see if the position of the latch or catch are adjustable in any way, in case something has moved out of alignment.

The 2010 Prius has keyless entry and starting unless it’s one of the Prius1 trim (stripped down for fleet spec) where it would have lock cylinders and regular keys. The rear hatch unlocks along with the rest of the doors. The latch could be stuck or something is not working with the power locks

When you lock and unlock the doors can you hear the actuator in the hatch working? If not the actuator has probably failed. If you have a key cylinder in the hatch and it feels stiff when you turn the key most likely the latch itself has failed. The fun part is getting it back open, you will need to take it apart from the inside. The hardest part will be removing the plastic trim once it is off you will have to take apart the latch from the inside to release it.

It might help to stop by the parts department of your local Toyota dealer and request an “exploded view drawing” of the latch installation. That might be a big help when removing it.

Or perhaps the attached link will provide enough illustration to make the job a bit easier.
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/default.aspx

Y’know, this has been an inspiration. Perhaps I’ll look at my Scion setup and see how feasible it would be to add a cable for a manual interior release. It would really be an added convenience.

the same mountainbike I think every vehicle I’ve owned or driven produced in the last 20 years or so has had a manual interior hatch or trunk lid release. My 2007 Corolla rental had one. Why would Toyota no longer provide them?

Toyota doesn’t put them on hatchbacks. Don’t know why.

It’s an interesting question, however. Those of you with hatchbacks of other makes, do they have inside latch releases for the hatches? I solicit your input.

I believe I may have an answer, as to why hatchbacks don’t have a manual interior release

Because if you’re in the cargo area of a hatchback, you should be able to push up the “hat shelf” to escape . . .because they’re not actually bolted down. At least not in any hatchback I’ve ever owned

I’m going to guess it’s not legally required on hatchbacks, but it is on sedans. Sedans don’t have a removable hatshelf

that’s how I see it

For the emergency release that’s true. Cars with trunks are required to have on in the trunk, hatches are not.
I was thinking of an interior release for regular use to be able to pop the hatch open without getting out of the driver’s seat. Having owned a few hatchbacks, I think it would be convenient.

This might help:

http://prius-in-mk.blogspot.com/2012/11/opening-hatch-from-inside-without-power.html

The Owners manual gives the info you need (although not as clearly pictured as the link provided by @insighful)
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47668U/pdf/sec_01-03.pdf

Looks to be the same procedure more or less as on my forester (emergency release inside under a cover,move lever to release hatch) I’ll let my '10 Prius driving mother know about this too.

the same mountainbike Yes. We are on the same sheet of music. I was addressing the manual release lever for hatchbacks and conventional sedans typically located on the floor between the driver’s seat and door. With the possibility of memory error. My list of non Toyotas is: Pinto and Vega hatchback/wagons. 1981 and 1991 Mazda RX-7s, 1991 Jeep Cherokee, ex wife’s 3 Subaru Outbacks, 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse, and current 2010 Kia Forte which has a conventional trunk.

I honestly don’t remember if my Vega hatchback had an internal release. That was too long ago… I traded it in 38 years ago.