Trunk gutter rusted out BAD

So just bought a 92 Mazda protege and it had standing water in the trunk and the trunk gutters are rusted like crazy and even spots around the rear glass have bad rust spots. When it has rained all the floor was getting wet so I have fixed the rust holes in the trunk gutters and siliconed the taillights but I haven’t had any more rain yet. I am just wondering is this a typical issue with this model or what?

Thanks,
                          -William K.

This is what usually causes these areas to rust.

Tester

2 Likes

Who , knows . But that can happen to all 30 year old vehicles.

1 Like

And that times 100 is how the car had been sitting for a few years before I got it.

Have you put it up on a lift and given the chassis, suspension, fuel lines, and brake lines a thorough inspection?

2 Likes

And why would you buy this rusted out, neglected piece of junk?

5 Likes

I think you found a lousy car to flip.
Trunk filled with water?
Next buyer=sucker

2 Likes

+1
On the other hand, someone’s Grandmother once observed (in regard to relationships) that “there is a lid for every pot”.
If the OP wants to resell it, he has to find a buyer who is willing to overlook some potentially serious problems.

2 Likes

Not to spoil anyone’s fun but silicone is not really a permanent answer. New gutters need to welded in or at least use something more permanent like fiberglass like I did.

1 Like

Rust never sleeps…And it is an iceberg… the tip you see is tiny, there is always LOTS more underneath!

30 year old cars are 20 years beyond manufacturer parts support. OK for mechanical bits but the model specific stuff becomes unobtanium.

3 Likes

More on topic, a car salesman I knew always said “there’s an a$$ for every seat”.

4 Likes

Going forward vacuum the leaves from that area in the rear, and the similar area under the hood in the front, every time you change the oil & filter. It’s a good time to lube the trunk and hood hinges and latch mechanisms too.

2 Likes

+1… even though I think that this is a case of locking the barn door after the horses have escaped.

2 Likes

Mazdas seem more prone to rust than other makes, from what I see here in Minnesota. They are not very popular here, and the ones I see are rustier than the other brands of similar age.

Keep on patching and drive on imhop

OP wants to fix and sell car. Next buyer gets to deal with it.

I don’t see how a 30 year old rusted out Protege would ever be much of a money maker and I suspect the laundry list of needs has barely begun.

4 Likes

A rusted out body is typical with any 30 year old car.

1 Like

Especially when it has been stored as the OP described:

Edmunds shows a private sale value in rough condition of 808 dollars and only someone who is card carrying insane would pay that much for it.
This one sounds like it belongs in the “Damaged” category which means major mechanical/body repairs needed, safety may be compromised, and may take significant work to pass safety or emissions inspections.

Outstanding condition (meaning near perfect in every way) is worth 1800 dollars and it will take countless times that amount to reach that aspirational goal.

3 Likes