Truly Universal Car Code Reader

ford
code
focus

I am looking for a truly universal car code reader/reset thingamajig for the following makes/models; 1992 Geo Prism, 2001 Pontiac Bonneville, 1994 Ford Explorer, 2008 Ford Focus, 2004 Jeep Wrangler… and I think that covers it. I realize prior to '96 the connector wasn’t universal. Is there a reader for sale that would accommodate all of these?

Yes, I have a OBD 1 and OBD 2 scantool from Sears. Check it out 920899 is stock number. It’s a little pricey, but it works for me!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00920899000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Is that the one you have? Wow! Talk about top o’ the line!

That unit is made by Innova. It may be the 3120 model. Check out this link and you will say WOW! again when you see the price.

“Woowoo we wooo”… wow! Much better price. Thank you both!

I am confused. I thought several years ago I read somewhere that newer cars in the last 3 or 4 years changed from OBDII, but looking at scanners, they seem to be stated as usable on the very latest cars. I tell ya’, that 3140 at Amazon for $175 looks like it would be real practical here in Mexico where people drive older cars.

Get the one from Sears. It has CAN (Controller Area Network) capabilities. The cheaper one doesn’t.

Tester

On that Prism, you can create a short between two of the connector terminals and the CEL would give out the codes by flashing. I do not remember which two, but I am sure someone has it on google or Toyota specific forums.

I think CAN must be what I was asking about. All the models from that company, at Amazon, show CAN compatibility on a chart on the 3120.

You can program your laptop to act as a scanner with the correct interface cable…Cables and programs available on eBay, some for under $20…

My Diablosport Preadator tuner can also function as an OBDII scanner for any OBDII car. I’ve pulled codes off of Volvos,Toyotas,Fords,etc. It doesn’t do OBDI though.